Leaky well pipe (PICS attached)

Users who are viewing this thread

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not buying that you run all your exposed computer, lamp, TV. radio etc. etc. etc. power cords in your house in conduit. Or that you would if you have kids and dogs.

And more than likely until that line is replaced it is probably grandfathered.

Appliance cords are not hard wired.....they can easily be unplugged, quickly. Your pump wires are hard wired and can only be cut or power shutoff at wherever you have access to a switch or panel breaker.

No matter how many times you tell me their are zillions of them done that way...everyone of them is considered a hazard to me wired like that....and as was mentioned never inspected. I never thought about it but it is true that wells are installed without any inspection....My deep well was installed (1988) and never inspected by anyone other than a water test by the town health dept. after it was already in use. My pump wires are inside plastic pipe and if they weren't I'd cover them with something myself.

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
Appliance cords are not hard wired.....they can easily be unplugged, quickly. Your pump wires are hard wired and can only be cut or power shutoff at wherever you have access to a switch or panel breaker.

No matter how many times you tell me their are zillions of them done that way...everyone of them is considered a hazard to me wired like that....and as was mentioned never inspected. I never thought about it but it is true that wells are installed without any inspection....My deep well was installed (1988) and never inspected by anyone other than a water test by the town health dept. after it was already in use. My pump wires are inside plastic pipe and if they weren't I'd cover them with something myself.
A lot has changed since '88. In most states wells are inspected and drilling is regulated. Conduit is code.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
After fixing the wiring and assuming your rain gutters etc are working properly the only way to fix the leak is from the outside. A product like SikaSwell S-2 will stop the leak. You have to pay attention to cleaning the concrete very well before applying the waterstop.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The wire would be OK if it was UF and the sheath wasn't stripped off.

The hole needs to be repaired from the outside. Proper sealant, a shovel and some gravel will do the trick. Seal the hole and give the water somewhere to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks