Stack Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

pensfan84

Reaction score
Quick question for everyone -

Am I able to stack vent a toilet and shower into a 4" ABS stack using a TY with a 2" inlet? Both the tub and the toilet are within 6' of the stack. Or should I branch drain the lav and tub and branch vent these above the highest fixture and tie into the vent stack? Thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can never reduce the size of the drain...a toilet needs to be at least 3", so running it into a 2" pipe is an instant source of clogs.

pensfan84

Reaction score
You can never reduce the size of the drain...a toilet needs to be at least 3", so running it into a 2" pipe is an instant source of clogs.

Sorry, I was not being clear. The stack is a 4" ABS. The TY would be 4", with a 2" inlet.

The stack will serve two bathrooms, and that's all. A total of five fixtures - one tub, two toilets, two lavatory.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The proximity to a "stack" does not determine whether you need additional vents or not. WHAT the stack is being used for, and WHERE you make the connection, is what matters. Without seeing the job, we cannot tell you whether what you plan is doable or not.

pensfan84

Reaction score
The proximity to a "stack" does not determine whether you need additional vents or not. WHAT the stack is being used for, and WHERE you make the connection, is what matters. Without seeing the job, we cannot tell you whether what you plan is doable or not.

The stack is serving two bathrooms, and that's all. The connection would be made roughly 4' up the stack using a 4" TY with a 2" inlet. The connection is in the basement.

The 4" TY will service a closet bend going to a toilet and the 2" inlet will service a tub.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
serving what ? as drain or vent or both" Are the bathrooms on the same floor or on different floors? It makes a difference

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stack

That tells us NOTHING about where the various fixtures are located, but as soon as one other fixture flows past your connection, that stack is no longer a VENT for your new fixtures, and cannot be used as such, with a few exceptions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks