(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I do not understand firearms in America

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Nope, but I did watch the A-Team last night and it was brilliant.

I sat two feet away from the TV to watch that every week when I was a kid.

There's a lot of firepower in that. And understanding the gun laws in America I now know why.

The only thing I still don't get is why do you most often need a permit to carry a concealed firearm? What's so special?

Surely a gun is like a peanis. It's more worrying when you are showing it off than hiding it.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    As per my original post, why didn't he shoot you?
    He didn't have a gun
    and most people won't mess with someone on a MC in leather who looks on the "rough" side

Going to College in Boston I had to pay for a course, asked where to pay
    Go up the stairs it will be right in front of you
    Up the stairs I go, open the door there are bank like windows & people paying
    One person vacates a window, I step forward in full leather, cut off gloves & ask if this is where I pay
    Girl looks at me a little confused so I ask again & show her the tuition bill
    She says Yes so I pay
    I turn around to leave & see a long line stretching down the hallway & around the corner
    Long line of students waiting to pay their bill....not a single person said a word
    Most looked away....back down the stairs I go.......
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

on a MC
    Oh, MC is a motorcyle.

I thought you were referring to an AMC!

Dave and his AMC Pacer...

Its great design feature was to have a passenger door that was much longer than the driver's door so your children could safely and easily climb into the back. Great idea. But then they had the even greater idea of selling it in England with right-hand drive. Unfortunately they couldn't swap the doors over too, forcing your children to climb aboard on the same side as the traffic.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-29-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Ian, you are absolutely right. It is virtually impossible for the average citizen to understand all of the laws in all 50 states and here's why. Each state has the right to enact laws that affect just the people within that state. These laws can cover virtually everything. Moreover, some state give counties within the state power to enact more stringent laws that the state statues. A few quick examples. Some states permit counties to determine "wet or dry". Some states permit counties to determine what may be sold on Sundays. Concealed weapons laws vary from state to state. Most permit long guns to be carried, but most have exceptions as to where any weapons may be carried. The list goes on forever, so yes, it is confusing even to those of us who are lifelong citizens when we travel to other places, and no, it really doesn't make a lot of sense. You just have to understand, and if you order a beer on Sunday and are refused because the county you are in is dry, you'll know why.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The people in DC who work for the government are part of the problem....they don't want any solution@!
    Must be talking about the GOP. (The party of "no" as in no solutions, no plans, and no idea how to run a govt. or balance a checkbook.)

BTW, Missouri has repealed most of its old "Blue Laws." I'm not sure when they did it, but they are much different now than what they were 20 years ago. You can buy beer on Sunday now. And you can buy tools, hardware, etc. then too. (No more closing off sections of the store which was completely absurd.)

Texas and many Southern states have dry counties. Some cities have dry precincts. In the South the way this worked is that the "God fearing" Southern Baptists didn't want liquor stores where they lived. But they did want nudie bars and liquor stores accessible, and to be able to buy alcohol with dinner in restaurants or private clubs nearby. So the solution was to push the liquor stores to the county line...or in another section of town (precinct)...typically one with a darker average complexion. Didn't see many nudie bars until I moved South...then it seemed like one couldn't swing a cat without hitting one.

The Blue Laws were/are a sort of statewide religious law enforcement system--milder than what the Saudi's do, but the same principle. They've weakened considerably over the years.

The gun laws of the U.S. are a byzantine mess (from my perspective as gun owner who will defend life and property and has been through the Texas concealed carry permitting.) Good luck trying not to run afoul of them if you carry while on vacation. Keeping track of states with reciprocity for concealed carry and all that--not to mention the restrictions within each is a pain. Waiting periods and permits, you can't carry here, can carry there, only if on a "bona fide" trip, etc. Common sense says to conceal...law says otherwise...but can make you susceptible to brandishing charges (or theft.)

Can't say that I'm terribly impressed with the oddball state laws, whether in NJ, CA, TX, GA, AK, AL, MS, LA, MO, KS, WA, etc.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Runs with bison View Post
    Must be talking about the GOP. (The party of "no" as in no solutions, no plans, and no idea how to run a govt. or balance a checkbook.)
    I don't think any of them are grounded in reality when it concerns budget issues. "No money? That's OK, we'll just vote to raise our own credit. What, we're voting on whether we get a raise or not........".
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Runs with bison View Post
    WHAT!!!

And you think the Dems do?...they just turn on the printing presses and crank out as much $$$ as they need...we will soon be needing pick up trucks to haul the $$$ to the store in order to buy a loaf of bread....you need to put on your glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    WHAT!!!

And you think the Dems do?...they just turn on the printing presses and crank out as much $$$ as they need...we will soon be needing pick up trucks to haul the $$$ to the store in order to buy a loaf of bread....you need to put on your glasses
    I've been watching this fiasco unfold for a decade and am all too aware of the source of the problem. It's not the Democrats other than in "me too" fashion (see Blue Dogs.) Nope, they are stuck with the mess that the Dubya and crew have made. The Dems are getting the blame for this massive deficit...the one that GOP policies created. (FDR faced the same thing during the Great Depression.)

If you actually do an analysis of the deficit it is the result of Dubya/GOP untax & spend like a drunken sailor policies. Folks like me saw this train wreck coming back in 2000/2001...because we can competently operate a calculator. (And I'm not even a Gore supporter.) Squandering another 8 years of Soc. Security "surplus" by undertaxing was complete idiocy. And what did the undertaxing accomplish in the way of stimulus? The lowest economic growth rate since the Great Depression and a giant bubble with perverse incentives to investors and companies that have ended up destroying wealth rather than creating it. Combine that with deregulation/no enforcement and here we are.

Dems and Republicans unfortunately cater to the free lunch inclinations of the nation at large. Americans, particularly conservative Americans, have been unwilling to pay their debts or pay as they go. Americans have convinced themselves that they should get all these services...AND not pay any taxes. It's insane and completely unsustainable. The "answer" has been to borrow and print money. So far, the Chinese are still lending.

Govt. has to pay off debts in good times, so that it can borrow in bad. The road to disaster lies in doing what conservatives have done: borrowing to the hilt in good times and bad. It could be worse, if current conservatives got their way we would cut govt. spending during a recession...and cause a depression.

At some point we have to start paying our current bills again and service our debt. Either that or we have to start eliminating services. If we do start eliminating services I vote that we eliminate Soc. Security and Medicare for those 65-80 first (keep it available for those reaching those ages in following years.) They are the ones who've been taxing later generations for the past few decades keeping their own income taxes down while using their kids/grand kids' soc. security contributions to pay their unsustainable lifestyles. They are pulling out far more than they put in, so let them reap the benefits of their short term thinking. If paying for private health insurance and living off our own earnings/savings is good enough for the rest of us, why not for them to?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
    I don't think any of them are grounded in reality when it concerns budget issues. "No money? That's OK, we'll just vote to raise our own credit. What, we're voting on whether we get a raise or not........".
    I've long believed (at least two decades anyway) that pay for Federal judges, representatives, Senators, the President, etc. should be indexed to inflation the same as Social Security. In addition, minimum wage should be indexed the same way. They should not be able to raise or lower one without raising or lowering the other by the same percentage factor. (Dubya's pay was doubled over Clinton's...talk about a bad investment...reminiscent of all the money corporate CEO's/Bankers have raked in while pillaging their companies and wrecking the economy.)

I also believe capital gains/investments should be taxed just like any other income (and should include deductions for Social Security/Medicare taxes)...but only after indexing for inflation so you would have zero taxes on anything that didn't provide return at least as great as inflation. Ditto for interest/dividend income. That makes it a good news/bad news sort of thing. I'm tired of having a system arranged to encourage risky borrowing, and discourage saving.

Ian, now what have you learned from this thread?

I have learnt that Scuba Dave once had a motor cycle and that Conservative America are the bad guys.

I am just so fiscally, socially and secksually liberal. Let's face it, liberals are much more fun to have parties with.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I still have a MC
    Honda ACE Shadow 1100cc
    I have put a windshield on since this pic, and took the back seat off

DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Uh, oh, trouble in paradise, back seat gone, bike now built for one... lol.

Only 1100cc. That would struggle to carry me.

My feet wouldn't touch the ground.