sewer odor

Users who are viewing this thread

bwall

Reaction score
I have just finished a basement shower with a tile floor over a concrete pan mud base. I'm getting sewer odor back up. This wasn't happening at first if at all minorly. It's been done and used for a month or so now until the bad smell. I think that I screwed up in putting in a trap (its crooked or just an 90 elbow down to another 90 elbow going parrallel to the ground into the drain pipe. I can't see any water in the drain. I can feel the air blowing up out of drain now, didn't notice or have smell before. Is the trap the problem here. I broke out the floor in the basement down to the line put in by the builder for the shower and tied into that when I started this. I have shoved a rag in the drain now and presently don't run the shower. I'm afraid that I have to break up the pan floor and go back down and reset better p-trap. Any advice or ideas on this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you feel wind coming up the drain, then you do have a problem.
Is there a way you can dig from the side and put some type of trap in there?
Keep in mind, that it still needs to be vented to prevent siphoning of the water in the trap.

bwall

Reaction score
The whole bathroom is done. I think that it was vented, but not sure now. In were I studded the walls there were two dry pipes coming out of the floor one behind the toilet drain in the floor and one of to the side of that one connected over to it from the floor by the shower area. I assumed that those were vents that continued up through the 1st floor to the roof as vents for the toilet and shower. This bath is on front side of home in basement with no way to get underneath it. I was thinking the best approach would be to tear out the shower pan and put in a trap, then redo the pan. When I realized what I had done I thought maybe someone had come up with a invention to fix this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks