2 inch deep well jet

Users who are viewing this thread

hickster

Reaction score
I recently was asked to help an old friend with his well. It is a 2" driven point with a 3/4 jet on the surface. We pulled the guts and found what appeared to be a packer assembly that fit down the 2" pipe. It was set down to 16' the water table is at 14' this appears to be a deep well jet assembly with foot valve. I wish I could find out how these work I understand a venturi but if someone knows of an illistration somewhere that would be great.. Any way the well is 30' deep should we put on a tail pipe to maybe 25' or just lower the foot valve to that depth? He was getting very little water. How did the pump even keep it's prime? What kind of gpm should this pump deliver @ lets say @ 30psi ? Or is this to much pump for this application? Thanks anyone!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
It was set down to 16'
What kind of gpm should this pump deliver @ lets say @ 30psi
(2.3 x 30) + 16 = 85' of head.
GPM = HP(40xEFF)/HD
HD = 85', EFF equals, let's say, 60
so
GPM = HP(2400)/85 = 28HP. 3/4 HP pump at 16' depth gives you 21 GPM.

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Some people like to give complicated answers to simple problems however there is no way that that pump system could ever supply 28 gpm.

What it should supply depends on how much water the well can give up! I suspect the gpm problem is in the well itself.

The 2" jet has a venturi that sticks out of the upper part of the jet. It may have a notch in the top to use a metal bar like a file in it to unscrew it. It's a right handed thread so you will want to turn it counter clock wise to unscrew it. Once it is out there is a nozzle in the jet that can be unscrewed with a 3/4" long socket. It's also a right handed thread. Once it's out check the hole in the nozzle to see that it's not plugged or partially plugged. Also check the hole in the nozzle for size using the chuck end of a 1/4" drill bit. It should fit tight. If it fits loose you may need to replace it.

Grainger shows a 2" packer assembly simular to yours
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1AAD6?Pid=search

Porky Cutter, MGWC
Master Ground Water Consultant

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey Porky; How many perfectly good pumps do you spose have been changed and the problem was a plugged jet? :rolleyes: I know I'm guilty of just such an offense myself, especially when I was young and had little experience. No I head right for the well first.

The save goes like this. sorry maa'm you pump was bad and we had to change the jet at the same time to match it to the new pump. fingers crossed, yet another notch in my ticket to hell and damnation.

Allen Meyers

Reaction score
Hey Porky; How many perfectly good pumps do you spose have been changed and the problem was a plugged jet? :rolleyes: I know I'm guilty of just such an offense myself, especially when I was young and had little experience. No I head right for the well first.

The save goes like this. sorry maa'm you pump was bad and we had to change the jet at the same time to match it to the new pump. fingers crossed, yet another notch in my ticket to hell and damnation.
I know there are hundreds of people who tried a new pump themselves and it was the well. Their new pumps are useless to them, they won't work with the new well.;)

hickster

Reaction score
2" deep well jet (no water)

Thanks for the info porky and everyone else. I pulled apart the packer assembly and cleaned everthing We replaced everything and lowered the packer to 25' and still maybe get only 1 - 2 gpm. The pump will build pressure to 50 psi no problem if I throttle on the pump discharge but slow recovery. Is the srcreen plugged? Or am I missing something

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A plugged screen is certainly a possibility. Is this well being used for potable water or irrigation?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks