Dryer Hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

tate16t

Reaction score
I'm in NY. We're replace an existing dryer. It is hardwired. A cable is coming from the dryer to a steel utility box. The cable coming from the wall is black with a black and white cable with a copper ground cable coming from it. They connect within the steel utility box to the dryer cable. I understand I need to have a receptacle added. Do I add a 4 or 3 conductor receptacle?

Thanks

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Although it will function safely (my opinion of course), the NM cable you have is not proper for a dryer.

Type SE cable also utilizes a bare neutral/ground but it for some reason is legal in existing circuits.

You have a 3 wire circuit existing. The black and white wires are hot (240 volts) and the bare was acting as the neutral/ground.

If you can replace the cable with a 10-3 with ground back to the panel and remove the bonding jumper in the dryer jbox, you will have a code compliant installation.

My house...eh.

Customers house, I'd tell them they had to replace it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Dryer plug

If you need to upgrade your hard wired dryer with a plug in version you will need to know what kind of plug to buy.

Most will mount on to a 4"x4" junction box which I'm guessing you have. You will need to get the plug with the right slots in the right direction because there are a least 3 versions of dryer plugs that are common. You can get yourself into trouble if you hook up a plug and appliance that can over draw the requirements of your electrical wire. Wires are rated for certain loads and need to be checked before adding services or extra loads. Check with a licensed electrian that your wire and set up are OK for the change. Often a hardwired junction box has more connections inside and there are code restrictions for the number of wires connected with a plug. It may be that you have to add another junction box with the new plug near by.

The internet is great. Download the manual (if you don't all ready have it) and go pick up the right plug.

Pictures help.

Good Luck.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Tate, you have got tons of helpful replies on the other forums you posted to. Many before you posted here, quite a few after.

I like this forum a lot, but I suggest you go read those others and acknowledge those of us who took the time to respond.

tate16t

Reaction score
Tate, you have got tons of helpful replies on the other forums you posted to. Many before you posted here, quite a few after.

I like this forum a lot, but I suggest you go read those others and acknowledge those of us who took the time to respond.

Thanks Speedy. I did not assume responses would come from the same folks and like to obtain different opinions in order to form my own. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your response.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks