Pitless Adaptor to House Distribution Pipe Failure

Users who are viewing this thread

Sierra44

Reaction score
The distribution pipe between my well and house has a leak in it near the house. Water is seeping into the basement and we have been using a wet-vac to pick up the water. We have been manually switching pump on only as needed to minimize water damage. My wife and I purchased our home three years ago, it is 35 years old. The previous owner did most of the repairs to the house his self. Most of his repairs were done improperly ("Jerry rigged") and I have been slowly correcting these as problems as they have arised.

I would like to replace all of the distribution pipe, 50+ feet, from pitless adaptor to the house myself. I will be digging the 50'+ of distribution pipe by hand since I cannot afford a contractor. Since I cannot take time off work this project will take several days. I was told take a temporary fix would be to connect a garden hose between the adaptor and house. Is this feasible? Could I use this temporary setup while I dig the trench? I am not familar with wells but I am with plumbing.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
borrow water from a neighbor

just shut the well off at the tank.

then if you got a neighbor nearby,
ask to borrow water from them

take a 100 foot garden hose and tie it on
to your outside hose faucet, then run it to
the neighbors house and with a hose coupling
tie the male end to their outside faucet..

turn theirs on and turn yours on
and it will half way pressure up your system
to get you by...

probably be a good idea to buy them a gift like a dinner
out to Red Lobster for borrowing their water for a weekl.

Sierra44

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Mark. 1400 feet from closest neighbor and they wouldn't mind at all. But distance might make it unfeasible. :D

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Take the material you plan on using to connect to the pitless adaptor and run it above ground while you dig the ditch. Some garden hoses have high concentrations of lead that makes them pliable. I believe the light green hoses are the ones with lead. A precaution worth noting if you have kids at home, let alone the safety of yourself. It probably won't kill you......but every repeated exposure adds up in the course of time.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Like Rugged said, have everything ready above ground and both ends ready, when the trench is dug, unhook the old and hook up the new. That part shouldn't take long at all.

I don't know what kind of pipe you are using, but make sure if the hole is dug below the fitting at the Pitless, when it is backfilled it can't push down on the pipe at the fitting and crack, tear or just plain break. Packing the dirt under that pipe at the fiting and a few feet away is a good idea. It can save you having to dig it up again in the near future.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks