pex repipe

Users who are viewing this thread

peltaz

Reaction score
My house is old galvanized pipe which I am considering having repiped using Wirsbo pex. In the course of getting a couple of estimates I forgot to ask a question I have been wondering about. My house has updated electrical with 2 grounding rods from the main panel although the house is old-1938. I have crawled through every inch of crawlspace under the house and do not see any grounding wires connected to the pipes. How do plumbers ensure that any grounding path using the galvanized pipe has not been broken? The reason I asked this is that the old galvanized pipe still remains when the new pex is installed around it. Thanks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You will need to have an electrician come out and drive an axillary ground rod.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you will need a new ground rod driven. Electricians can check the contineuity (spelled wrong, but that's what you get this PM:D) That will tell them if the wire is broken. However, with what you are doing, I think a new rod will be required. NOTE: I'm sure not an electrician, heck, I'm not a plumber either so take this for what it's worth.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
grounding

You say you have two grounding rods installed. If that is true, WHY would you need a bond to the old galvanized piping. That was only needed when the panels did not have the ground rod, and the grounding was through the water piping to the buried water supply service line. Now, if you still had telephone ground clamps on the old piping IT would have to maintain its path to the main service, or be relocated to a good ground source.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks