not sure where to post it

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Forgive me folks. I'm not really sure where to post my question.

We have a small chest freezer. We defrosted it so we can remove the ice on the sides. However, while I was away, my wife put it sideways so she can clean it easily. Next day, she told me that it wasn't cooling enough. It was powered on for more than 48 hours but it wasn't cold enough. Even changing the settings didn't help.

What went wrong?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You should never, ever tip refrigerators or freezers (beyond the way the mfr. recommends) . It has to do with the refrigerant in the coils. I don't know the fix but I do know that's likely the issue. Maybe someone here has a tip or a local small appliance konws what the fix is.

Sorry man.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Good chance the compressor got slugged with liquid refrigerant and is now burned out.

Cookie

Reaction score
The compressor motor is suspended inside the compressor housing on springs. These springs are designed to hold the motor load in a vertical position. On it's side it can stretch or break these springs, is it making a noise?

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The compressor motor is suspended inside the compressor housing on springs. These springs are designed to hold the motor load in a vertical position. On it's side it can stretch or break these springs, is it making a noise?

It's still quiet. I hear the normal hum we use to hear before.

Cookie

Reaction score
I would unplug it, and settle the refrigerant, a day or two. Anytime you move an appliance that has a refrigerant in it, that is what you should do.

Reaction score
Manuals on refrigerators and freezers typically suggest leaving them upright and off for 12 or 24 hours if they've been on their sides or whatnot. I would leave it off and upright for a few days, cross my fingers, and hope for the best.

I have an old college fridge that I've used at times as a beverage cooler. Sometimes after cleaning the coils, defrosting it, moving it or whatever I've turned it on only to have it not cool. Once it would make some noise and kick out. After hearing it do this many times I thought it was shot and was ready to dispose of it after a long life. I unplugged it a few days, and when I plugged it back in to give it one last chance it was back to normal. That was about 10 years ago...it still runs although I have it shut down at the moment.

I was adjusting a mat underneath my small chest freezer about a year ago when I tilted it a little too far (still plugged in.) The compressor started making a racket and I quickly set it back upright and unplugged it. It didn't do any damage but it was obvious that sustained operation like this would be very unhealthy for it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I always heard the rule that you need to put a refrigerator upright/unplugged for 2 hours for every 15 minutes it was on its side.

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I guess it's time to turn it on. It's been unplugged for almost 2 weeks now. I'm going to turn it on and I will let you know tomorrow. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
You don't keep opening the door are you? :)
If it is an older one give it some time, make sure it isn't near a heat source either, I've seen some people put them under a window where the sun pours in.
If it’s humming (but the freezer is not cooling), there could be a problem with your condenser or the evaporator coils.

Last edited:

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't keep opening the door are you? :)
If it is an older one give it some time, make sure it isn't near a heat source either, I've seen some people put them under a window where the sun pours in.
If it’s humming (but the freezer is not cooling), there could be a problem with your condenser or the evaporator coils.

Nope, I didn't open it many times. It still didn't cool. We decided to buy a used one on craigslist. We found one for $250. We asked him to turn it on the other day so that next day, we can check if it's cooling. And yes, when we saw it, freezer was cold. It still look like new. Height is 6' and with a refrigerator too.

The old chest freezer is about 2 years old. It was given by Target for free when we bought a grill.

I'm not sure if the amount that I will be spending to have the problem fixed is going to be affordable. So am just thinking of posting it on craigslist for free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks