Cast Iron Tub Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Iree

Reaction score
Installing a Kohler 300 lb cast iron tub and I know my bathroom floor is slightly off level. Is it ok to just lay 1/2" hardibacker on the entire floor, then poor leveler down - whole room, let it dry and then set the tub on a level floor. I would then tile up to the tub apron.

Most online forums say install the tub on wood subfloor, then level it with shims but I am concern over time the wood subfloor may deteriorate. Also, with 1/2" hardibacker plus leveler, then and about 3/8" or so tile thickness - I am up to about an inch or more the side of the apron... .

Interested in your thoughts/advice

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What kind of shape is the sub flooring in? In new homes we set the tub on the sub floor. They were also Kohler CI tubs.

John

Iree

Reaction score
I ripped out particle board and installed 3/4" pressure treated plywood over the 1/2" on so it is new.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks