Spray Foam Insulation for Vented Porch Crawlspace??

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Is this a good idea?

Joists are presently too far apart to use standard fiberglass insulation, I'd have to 2X4 sections to create the 16". I see the pro's but my only con is:

I don't like the idea of insulating over the wires that run between joists. What if in the future I need access to those wires? Is this a justifiable concern? Are there any other concerns?

Thanks in advance...

An Afterthought: If I use regular insulation, would the vapor barrier face up, or down towards the ground. I can cut the bats to fit the 22" runs and staple them up with another material like the thin paper like aluminum insulation...just a thought.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You could use polystyrene (or similiar) panels. Little adhesive or button Kap nails to keep it up.

If you need to access wire, just abandon it and run new wire.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
That's an idea! I didn't think of that. Can you read what I just added and tell me if that's a good idea as an alternative? The wire is new - I still don't like the idea of covering it.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WIres and pipes get covered by insulation all of the time. Now, depending on where they are and the thickness of the insulation you are adding, can complicate things. Fiberglass doesn't work well if it is compressed, so the best thing to do is split the insulation so the things can be embedded without compressing it.

Normally, you'd have the vapor barrier towards the living space in the colder climates where heating is more common than cooling.

If this is in a dirt floor crawl space, you probably want to put some plastic on the ground to slow moisture from that coming up. You can tape it to the foundation walls to create a seal as well.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Thank you - I cancelled the spray foam insulation guy. I’ll just do it myself with fiberglass. Thanks for tips / suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks