Boiler problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

HammerSlammer

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old Slant Fin boiler with a closed loop baseboard system. Everything has been rock solid for 10 years but this season I have an intermittent problem of not firing. A few weeks ago i went over and just messed with it a little shut the power off and turned it back on and it fired. Today it would not fire again. It was cold, the pilot was on , t-stat up, I pushed the reset, turned the power off and then on again. I could hear the pumps come on but the auto flue damper would not go into the open position. I tried the manual mode but it still would not fire the burners. Then I bled the lines just for something to do and it fired for about 5 minutes then off again and no restart. I tried everything again and even bled the lines a few more times and nothing. So i gave up figuring i could call a service guy in the morning, and drove around town to gather some electric space heaters to get the tenants through the night. When i got back I thought I'd try it one more time. Fired right away, came up to temperture, shut off and restarted again when the temp dropped. I'm thinking i'm missing something simple and I'm concerned about having a service guy come out and the thing is working.. Any ideas?? Thanks for the great forum!!

3m

Reaction score
It should have a flow switch located in the watre lines with wiring going to it. If the swith or pump is starting to fail it can cause problems. Take the cover off and use a jumper wire and see if it comes on but dont leave it likes this this is only to test the flow switch. If it fails to come onit could be the pump or many other things

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks