Tight fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Canadian_DIYer

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for recommendations for a low flow toilet to replace an 20 year old American Standard. I'm looking for a toilet with a 12 inch rough in. My issue is that my water supply line is 6 inches directly behind the left flange bolt. On all the drawings of the toilets that I have seen, the base extends between 7" and 10" behind the bolt hole.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Maurice

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for recommendations for a low flow toilet to replace an 20 year old American Standard. I'm looking for a toilet with a 12 inch rough in. My issue is that my water supply line is 6 inches directly behind the left flange bolt. On all the drawings of the toilets that I have seen, the base extends between 7" and 10" behind the bolt hole.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Maurice

How hard would it be to relocate the supply?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

VERY few toilets go all the way back to the wall, and also VERY few are as wide as the bolt openings, so your supply pipe should work for anything other than a Toto skirted toilet.

Canadian_DIYer

Reaction score
The floor is tiled with the water supply line coming out. I don't want to have to re-tile the floor. The water supply line is actually slightly in from the flange bolt - maybe an eight of an inch. I haven't found anything that will fit. I tried an American Standard Cadet 3 but the base extends 9 inches beyond the bolt hole. The Cadet 3 is very tapered but still didn't fit. Any other choices?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
supply

AH, you did not say the water line came out of the floor. Your old toilet must have been a washdown model with the trap towards the front. They are about the only ones which had the short section at the rear. ALL modern toilets with the reverse trap NEED more china to the rear to accomodate it, so you may never find a new toilet that will work.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You may not have to retile if you can get to the water line from underneath. You could drill a new hole for the water supply (or ideally bring it up in the wall). The old hole may get covered up by the new toilet.

Can you get access to the water from underneath?

Canadian_DIYer

Reaction score
Thanks,
The bathroom is on the second floor above my kitchen. It'll be a lot of work to get to the water line but moving it may be my only option.
Thanks again,
Maurice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks