(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Gas Explosion Rocks Puerto Rico

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Gas Explosion Rocks Puerto Rico

http://news.aol.com/article/gulf-gas...to-rico/732910

The 12:30 a.m. blast was the equivalent of a 2.8 magnitude earthquake, according to the Puerto Rico Seismic Network.

Fortuno said 11 of the 40 fuel tanks were on fire at the plant, which includes a gasoline warehouse and distribution center on a bay across from the U.S. territory's capital. Caribbean Petroleum owns the Gulf brand in Puerto Rico.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

We had one of those near where I used to live in England, about four or so years ago.

The cause of that one was petrol overflowing a storage tank after automatic monitoring systems broke down. Petrol started flowing out of vents at the top of the tank, turning into a flammable vapour cloud as it cascaded down the side of the tank.

The gaseous cloud covered nearly 8 hectares of ground by the time it was ignited, possibly by a spark in a fire pumphouse or an electrical generator building close to the site.

I don't think anyone died, which was a miracle and there were no long-term public health problems.

A lot of my friends were awoken by the blast which blew their loft hatches down!

It measured 2.4 on the Richter scale.

Last edited by Terry; 10-24-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Well there goes all the benefits of what all the Hybrid cars saved....breath deep yaall.....
    Last edited by Cass; 10-24-2009 at 04:11 PM.