Can I use a 37° flare tool for a 45° fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

North Jersey

Reaction score
I'm receiving conflicting information about the proper flare angle on the line set for a two-ton R410a mini split unit. Since the copper tubing is pretty maleable, do you think I could get away with using my 37° Ridgid flare tool and counting on the force exerted by the flare nut to properly shape the tubing if the required angle turns out to be 45°?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I am not an HVAC guy I would not try and put 2 different angles together unless you want to be recharging it down the road...it just doesn't make sense...the angles are for a reason and trying to do what you are suggesting is not good...do it right and do it once...don't do something that may cause problems or damage another part...

North Jersey

Reaction score
I was hoping that underflaring the tubing wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper to find out what that angle is. A Yellow Jacket distributor has brochure that states the LG units use a 37° flare, but a first level tech at LG told me to use 45°. I'll let you know what I find out.

North Jersey

Reaction score
*update*

I talked with a second LG tech who confirmed that the flare should be 45°. He initially told me it was 37°, but he corrected himself after a quick look at the training manual. I hope this information comes in handy for someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks