(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Can I use a 37° flare tool for a 45° fitting?

Default Can I use a 37° flare tool for a 45° fitting?

I'm receiving conflicting information about the proper flare angle on the line set for a two-ton R410a mini split unit. Since the copper tubing is pretty maleable, do you think I could get away with using my 37° Ridgid flare tool and counting on the force exerted by the flare nut to properly shape the tubing if the required angle turns out to be 45°?
    Last edited by Noth Jersey; 10-23-2009 at 06:27 PM.

It might work... or it might cause the copper to crack from the dual bending.
    Important note – I don’t know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

While I am not an HVAC guy I would not try and put 2 different angles together unless you want to be recharging it down the road...it just doesn't make sense...the angles are for a reason and trying to do what you are suggesting is not good...do it right and do it once...don't do something that may cause problems or damage another part...

I was hoping that underflaring the tubing wouldn't be a problem. I guess I'll have to dig a little deeper to find out what that angle is. A Yellow Jacket distributor has brochure that states the LG units use a 37° flare, but a first level tech at LG told me to use 45°. I'll let you know what I find out.

Default *update*

I talked with a second LG tech who confirmed that the flare should be 45°. He initially told me it was 37°, but he corrected himself after a quick look at the training manual. I hope this information comes in handy for someone else.
    Last edited by Noth Jersey; 10-29-2009 at 07:02 AM.