Trap under slab - concrete over or leave exposed?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
With a bathtub on a slab, is the trap typically left exposed or concreted over?

I've already installed the (glued) trap, but I'm not sure whether I should box it in and leave it unconcreted, or go ahead and concrete over it, leaving just the stub-out. The tub will be in a platform, so there's no issue with the current install. I'm just thinking about access for future service.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'd leave access to the trap and trap arm (or a certain amount of it anyway) so that in the FUTURE if you ever want to trade that tub out for something different and it has different dimensions you might be less screwed.

Leaving access to plumbing is never a bad idea.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
"Access in the future" for what? If it is done correctly in the beginning, there is no need for access EVER.

I'd leave access to the trap and trap arm (or a certain amount of it anyway) so that in the FUTURE if you ever want to trade that tub out for something different and it has different dimensions you might be less screwed.

Everything's tight and solid, but the trap is half in the footing, so a future change/move would be a HUGE PITA if it's all concreted in. Guess I'll be considerate to any future plumber and box it :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

You DO NOT have to pour it solid with concrete. Sand fill with a concrete topping is the normal way to do it. And you may be the first person ever to worry about how a plumber would do something in the future and make it easier for him.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
In the state of Florida code requires you to cement it over.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks