(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Trap under slab - concrete over or leave exposed?

Default Trap under slab - concrete over or leave exposed?

With a bathtub on a slab, is the trap typically left exposed or concreted over?

I've already installed the (glued) trap, but I'm not sure whether I should box it in and leave it unconcreted, or go ahead and concrete over it, leaving just the stub-out. The tub will be in a platform, so there's no issue with the current install. I'm just thinking about access for future service.

Default trap

"Access in the future" for what? If it is done correctly in the beginning, there is no need for access EVER.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

I'd leave access to the trap and trap arm (or a certain amount of it anyway) so that in the FUTURE if you ever want to trade that tub out for something different and it has different dimensions you might be less screwed.

Leaving access to plumbing is never a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    "Access in the future" for what? If it is done correctly in the beginning, there is no need for access EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    I'd leave access to the trap and trap arm (or a certain amount of it anyway) so that in the FUTURE if you ever want to trade that tub out for something different and it has different dimensions you might be less screwed.
    Everything's tight and solid, but the trap is half in the footing, so a future change/move would be a HUGE PITA if it's all concreted in. Guess I'll be considerate to any future plumber and box it

Default trap

You DO NOT have to pour it solid with concrete. Sand fill with a concrete topping is the normal way to do it. And you may be the first person ever to worry about how a plumber would do something in the future and make it easier for him.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    And you may be the first person ever to worry about how a plumber would do something in the future and make it easier for him.
    As a service plumber I love when people consider future re & re's to make our job easier. It also usually ends up saving the person paying some $$$$$.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

In the state of Florida code requires you to cement it over.

John