Two pressure tank but little water

Users who are viewing this thread

Artmg

Reaction score
I just installed a second pressure tank so that my pump wouldn't have to go on as often but I'm not sure if I really accomplished much. The original tank was a 52 gallon one and the new tank is an 86 gallon one. I drained each tank and found that the 52 gallon tank actually holds about 13 gallons and the 86 gallon tank holds about 21 gallons. The pressure switch is a 40/60 and the tank pressure is set at about 37.5 and 39 although this number seems to change a bit every time I measure it. The larger tank was pre-charged at 38 lbs however even after taking air out it still reads 39. Does the volume in each tank sound normal? Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a regular 30/50 or 40/60 pressure switch and high producing well and pump, you cannot get any stored water from a pressure tank. This is because you have no way of knowing if the pressure is at 60 and the tank is full, or if the pressure is at 41 and the tank is empty, when the power goes off. Murphys law says the pressure will always be at 41 when the power goes off, and you only have a quart of water in the tank. You can lower the air pressure in the tank from 38 to 10, then you would have a little water stored in the tank(s) when the power is off and the pressure drops below 40. However, this will also cause your pump to cycle on and off rapidly during normal use.

The best way to have water when the power is off, is to have a generator handy.

Only about 15% to 20% of a tanks volume is water, the rest is air.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I suggest you go to Valveman's web site www.cyclestopvalves.com and study his information.

I believe Valveman was saying that both tanks should have the same pressure when the tanks are drained of water. That pressure should be 2 pounds less than the cut on pressure of the pressure switch.

Tanks don't store much usable water when the power goes off.

If you need much water when the power is off you'll need a generator.

I suggest you also look at Valveman's web site www.cyclestopvalves.com and look into adding a Cycle Stop Valve. A CSV won't supply water but it will give you constant pressure like city water pressure.

Porky Cutter, MGWC
National Ground Water Assn. Certified "Master Ground Water Contractor"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks