Adding shower to bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Clay

Reaction score
I want to add a shower to my existing bathtub. What do I need to put on the wall surrounding the tub to protect the sheetrock from water damage. Should I tile the walls or install a fiber glass enclosure? Any info will be appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want tile, tear the drywall off, install a vapor barrier, then cement board and then tile. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling.

A fiberglass tub surround typically can't be fitted to a tub that isn't designed for it so you'll have problems with the seal with the tub. You don't want drywall on the walls if you are going to use the area as a shower. Might be possible, but not likely.

Also note, if the tub is a drop in, designed for use on a deck, there are other things you need to do to keep water from making a mess of things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
surround

A 3 or 5 piece surround will make a water tight enclosure, at least for a little while. They are notorious for coming loose from the walls or leaking at the seams if not sealed properly. A proper tile job becomes a major remodel project if the walls were not designed to be moisture proof, although a tub area is ALWAYS subject to moisture so it might already have the proper, or adequate, wall material.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks