Replace toilet shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I have a toilet shutoff valve that needs to be replaced. It is connected to gray PB pipe. There is about 3" of PB coming out of the wall.

I have worked with the PEX to PB connectors before and I have a crimping tool.

I have three questions.

First, what is a good brand of valve that will last and not leak?

Second, would it be better to use a threaded adapter coming off the pex to connecting to the valve so the valve can be replaced if it leaks someday?

Last, Is there a way to cover all these ugly fittings when I am finished?

Thanks for your help!

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Shark Bite Valve

From what I can see it is not made for PB. The inside diameter of the pipe is not the same size as the stiffener that goes on the inside.

I don't want a leak.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First of all, I am not 100% certain that the pipe I was working with was PB. It was in a mobile home that has some kind of flexible pipe. I when to HD and was told by the department head that this particular Shark Bite would work. He seemed to know exactly what pipe was in these mobile homes. I bought it, took it to the house, and the valve attached perfectly. All I know for certain about the pipe is that the connections were made with rings and could not be disassembled. This is an older home, so I know the pipes are not PEX.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pe

Gray pipe is PE, regardless of what was used for the connections. Sharkbites secure to the outside of the pipe and the "stiffener" is mostly cosmetic. It is not like a compression fitting where you tighten it and squeeze the pipe to make the seal which makes the stiffener necessary to provide the necessary resistance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks