Installation of softener with well

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry_T

Reaction score
Hi -

Two questions regarding installation of a softener with a private well:

1) We have slight sediment in the water after hard rains. We were going to install a whole house filter at the same time as installing softener, but reading posts here do I understand correctly that a whole house filter is not recommended if we install a softener?

2) The way the utility room is set up in our basement, it looks like space for a softener is _before_ the pressure tank. Is this the correct location? Somehow, it seems that the softener would be after the pressure tank.

Thanks.

Giles

Larry_T

Reaction score
We have a drilled well, about 300'.

Sometimes, a day or two after heavy rains, we'll notice a slight discoloration of the water in the toilet bowl or bathtub. By slight, I mean you can just barely tell that the water isn't perfectly clear. It clears up within a day or two.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi -

Two questions regarding installation of a softener with a private well:

1) We have slight sediment in the water after hard rains. We were going to install a whole house filter at the same time as installing softener, but reading posts here do I understand correctly that a whole house filter is not recommended if we install a softener?

2) The way the utility room is set up in our basement, it looks like space for a softener is _before_ the pressure tank. Is this the correct location? Somehow, it seems that the softener would be after the pressure tank.

Thanks.

Giles

Giles, have you had the water tested? Just wondering why you think you need a softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks