Increase the height of base cabinets/countertop

Users who are viewing this thread

jstevens

Reaction score
My cabinets are 34 inches above the finished floor (they are existing cabinets so I don't want to raise them from the bottom). It looks like they were installed on the subfloor so I lose a half inch with my finished floor. There is no countertop installed yet, but I plan on getting a silestone countertop that is 1 1/4 inches. This would make the total height 35 1/4. I need it to be 36 inches to fit my slide in stove and dishwasher. Can I put a layer of 3/4 inch plywood under the silestone to raise the height? Will it look bad? What can I do to mask the plywood once the countertop is installed.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Finish something nicely to match the cabinets and put that on the edge, set proud slightly (maybe 1/4" or so to give a nice shadow line and nothing hard to line up). Put counter on that.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I have heard countertop installers require a plywood base on granite countertops, just don't know the specifics.

I say do it, either run a router on it or paint is black.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the counter is made with a front build-up to make it look thicker, it may totally hide the plywood you put down. The silestone often comes in 1/2" or 3/4" thick, then they double the front to make it look thicker.

Jeff1

Reaction score
I just had countertops installed on new cabinets. They installed plywood then the stone tops. Overall they added about 1.5" to the height of the cabinets. I believe this is a standard height. I had to raise my dishwasher to match the height. The stove looks about right too. The face hides the plywood nicely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks