Plumber's replacing shower body!?

Users who are viewing this thread

kancheta

Reaction score
Hi there,
This might be a bit of a rant, but I will try to keep it short. First, I am not a plumber, not all that handy and pretty pissed off!
After a month of locating my "leak", we find that our second bathroom with tub and shower combo has been spewing water behind the wall whenever the tub diverter was used to put in shower mode. We had replaced the tub spout before knowing this. Anyway, after second visit from the pros they discover that the copper pipe we were attempting to put the spout on was just one whole piece that was bent into place. He said he had never encountered this before. Ok, well I just wanted to know how to fix it. Final options are to replace shower valve or install whole new shower body? We chose the latter option. My question is this- does 1100.00 sound about right? Keep in mind on the first trip, they cut through my tub surround to get to the pipes to diagnose. So, this new price tag, is just to do the shower body install. So, I will have exposed pipes and wont even know when we will be able to do replace the tub and tile everything.
Should I get some estimates, or does this souns right and reasonable?

Appreciate any feedback,
Kat

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Hi there,
This might be a bit of a rant, but I will try to keep it short. First, I am not a plumber, not all that handy and pretty pissed off!
After a month of locating my "leak", we find that our second bathroom with tub and shower combo has been spewing water behind the wall whenever the tub diverter was used to put in shower mode. We had replaced the tub spout before knowing this. Anyway, after second visit from the pros they discover that the copper pipe we were attempting to put the spout on was just one whole piece that was bent into place. He said he had never encountered this before. Ok, well I just wanted to know how to fix it. Final options are to replace shower valve or install whole new shower body? We chose the latter option. My question is this- does 1100.00 sound about right? Keep in mind on the first trip, they cut through my tub surround to get to the pipes to diagnose. So, this new price tag, is just to do the shower body install. So, I will have exposed pipes and wont even know when we will be able to do replace the tub and tile everything.
Should I get some estimates, or does this souns right and reasonable?

Appreciate any feedback,
Kat

In my area it would be high, but in yours it may be the going price. Another estimate wouldn't hurt.

John

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Always get second or third estimates to determine the market value in your area. It's also a good idea to get what they are doing in writing - ie. fixing wall, replacing tile, that way you know the complete job and aren't suprised when you get the bill.

kancheta

Reaction score
Yes, I will be making some calls. I do have it in writing and work cannot start for 2 weeks because of negative cash flow!
I have attached some pics to show you guys the damage. The floor is buckling in my entry way due to the water running behind the walls. The hole you see in the bathroom is what I paid 325.00 for first visit. Was not corrected needless to say.
Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

• plumeria and plumbing 006.JPG
    plumeria and plumbing 006.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 740
  • plumeria and plumbing 004.JPG
    plumeria and plumbing 004.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 679
  • plumeria and plumbing 008.JPG
    plumeria and plumbing 008.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow!

What is on the other side of that wall with the gaping hole...:eek:

Please say it's a exterior wall and not a bedroom or closet....

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Getting plumbers out is expensive. I would have (and have paid) plumbers more in my area for similar work.

What is on the other side of that wall with the gaping hole...

Please say it's a exterior wall and not a bedroom or closet....

That's a very good point and perhaps the most important one.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

They CUT that slot in your tub wall? Were these plumbers or butchers? Once the wall is cut out, it is only a matter of an hour or so, for one plumber, to install the new valve, so do the math once you decide how much the valve will cost.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am ASSUMING that the leak was actually something inside the wall? My first reaction was that if it just involved the fitting of the spout, then one solution might have been a Delta spout with soldered on adapter.'

Anyway, we are way past that. Did they suggest how you are supposed to fix the shower wall? Was there any possiblilty that the valve could have been accessed from the other side of the wall?

Can't tell for sure from the pic is you have a one piece, or a tub with separate wall kit. If the latter is the case, the only reasonable course of action will be to replace the wall kit. Not a terribly expensive or difficult job.

A short term, not very "pretty" solution would be to get a piece of 3/16" thick plexiglass, preferably something opaque, wide enough to cover that slot side to side and top to bottom. Cut out for new shower valve and tub spout. Glue it in place. Get adhesive recommendation from the plastic company where you get the plastic.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Even if it is an outside wall the plumbers may not have had to cut the wall like that...they make over sized trim plates that can be used if the problem was only at the valve...if it was in the riser going to the shower head then that is another thing....

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Wow, they should've just broke out the 10lb sledge hammer to do the diagnosis!

What would have been so hard about taking off the valve trim plate and using an inspection mirror or two to quickly see what was going on inside the valve wall! It's guys like those that give plumbers a bad name, and their compounding bills that freak out homeowners from calling in a proper professional.

Always get enough estimates so that you can pick a contractor who explains what they are going to do and why, and who gives you a feeling of honesty when they talk to you. There's more than one plumber out there, and the skilled and honest ones are the ones that deserve your business!

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your quote entails, but the damage they did with the first visit is ridiculous and unnecessary. That's why I do my own troubleshooting to identify the source of leaks before calling for help.

It took about an hour to replace my shower valve when it was leaking. The price was a complete rip off: $350. I supplied the parts, prepared the access, and did the clean up. But it needed to be done that day as there were no shut offs. With plumbing you are often stuck with whoever you can get when you call.

Reaction score
Why are plumber's prices always a rip off, but doctors and lawyers are reasonable?

Who said they were reasonable?

But now that you mention it, my most recent doctors visits and some legal work I had done were a "bargain" compared to $350/hr for straightforward plumbing work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks