Adding a Single Pole switch coming drawing power from 3 way switch

Users who are viewing this thread

eduvall

Reaction score
Adding a Single Pole switch drawing power from 3 way switch

Hello, i am conrrently adding a bathroom in my basement, any how i have added a plug receptical and i have install the light to the switch, but not connected it to a power source yet, what i am hoping i can do is draw power from my 3 way switch, for my light in the bathroom. I am not sure if i can do this, and if i can how would i connect it?

Attachments

• power.JPG
    power.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,641
Last edited:

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
It's not likely at all that you can do that. You'd have available two runners at the far switch, so the new outlet would go on and off with the light even if there was a nuteral available, which there isn't likely to be. Sorry!

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If you wanted to sacrifice the three-way function, you could borrow a wire and share the neutral from that ex. circuit to do what you want.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If the cable is run as pictured you will not have a neutral in the switch box.

Also, your bathroom recep must be a dedicated 20 amp circuit to be code compliant.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

If that 3 way is at the "end" of the run, you have neither a hot nor a neutral wire in that box. What are you trying to control with that single pole switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks