Blocked valve

Users who are viewing this thread

swcooper

Reaction score
I've had flow problems in my hydronic heating since getting my expansion tank replaced a couple of years ago. Last year it sounded like the Flo Control valve was rattling, looking over a diagram of how they're put together, might well be that the weight and washer had become detached. It was broadly working then though. Now this year, there's no circulation at all with the pump working and running, heat doesn't get further than about a foot above the boiler. I'm suspecting the flow control valve (maybe 3 feet up above the boiler) may have just jammed shut and gummed up over the summer.

It's one of these Bell and Gossett valves, top centre of picture:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/swcooper/BoilerRear.jpg

How likely are these to fail like this - is it just wholly more likely that there's a physical blockage in the boiler pipes somewhere?

How hard will it be to unsolder one connection and then unscrew from the other one?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I've had flow problems in my hydronic heating since getting my expansion tank replaced a couple of years ago. Last year it sounded like the Flo Control valve was rattling, looking over a diagram of how they're put together, might well be that the weight and washer had become detached. It was broadly working then though. Now this year, there's no circulation at all with the pump working and running, heat doesn't get further than about a foot above the boiler. I'm suspecting the flow control valve (maybe 3 feet up above the boiler) may have just jammed shut and gummed up over the summer.

It's one of these Bell and Gossett valves, top centre of picture:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/swcooper/BoilerRear.jpg

How likely are these to fail like this - is it just wholly more likely that there's a physical blockage in the boiler pipes somewhere?

How hard will it be to unsolder one connection and then unscrew from the other one?

The rattling of a flow valve is usually cased by air in the system. When they fail they get stuck in the open position. It sounds more like you have air in the system. You can open the flow valve with the thumb screw on top of the flow valve to check your theory.

John

swcooper

Reaction score
The rattling of a flow valve is usually cased by air in the system. When they fail they get stuck in the open position. It sounds more like you have air in the system. You can open the flow valve with the thumb screw on top of the flow valve to check your theory.

John

I guess I should further elaborate then:
- the system's currently drained of any water. Opening the feed valve (between bubble trap and flo control in the picture) doesn't result in any significant water running out of the bottom of the boiler, regardless of which way the flo control screw is turned
- Flo control screw was really tight and the lever broke off it long ago. Should it operate with just half a turn, or is it a fairly long thread?
- there was a little air in the system, could be heard gurgling along frequently. Purge valves don't seal well, hard to get rid of it with no bleed valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks