Advice on flange problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Kitch

Reaction score
I recently removed a vinyl floor in my bathroom and replaced it with ceramic and CBU. This increased the floor height by 3/4in. When reinstalling the flange, I'm 3/4in short. What are my options?? The flange is copper and connects to a 3in copper soil stack. I'm installing a TOTO Pacifica when I fix the flange problem.

Thanks,
Kitch

cst804s-terrylove-1.jpg

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
you can get one of the wax rings that have the plastic collar on them, a "Cant Leak" wax ring - they make a sort of chute down to the drain, so there will be no problem with your floor height.

Kitch

Reaction score
Update

I appreciate your posts. I guess I need to explain myself more or get add'l explanations from you. After increasing the height of the floor by 3/4in, and then reinstalling the closet flange on top of the new ceramic (as it should be), there is a 3/4in gap from the bottom of the closet flange to the top of the soil stack. I think that when it was recommended that I use "stackers" (would that be several wax rings or a similar device?) the assumption was that I left the closet flange as is and the new floor rose above the flange. This is not the case. I need a way of closing the gap from the copper soil stack to the bottom of the copper flange. Could I use a 3in Fernco?

Thanks,
Kitch

Kitch

Reaction score
Stackers

I looked at your link for "stackers" and they unfortunately won't work. I believe that they are for increasing the height of the closet flange when a new floor is installed around it. Thanks for your help though!

Kitch

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
ahh yes, the misunderstanding here is that usually when you raise the floor (by tiling) you leave the flange behind on the plywood flooring and cut around it which makes it a far stretch for your toilet to seat and seal properly. You don't want to have anything causing hangups in the drainage, we want a smoooooth ride all the way for every flush. Can you get a pup piece on the end of the flange so that it reaches the drain all the way? Then I'd use the fernco or preferably get a coupling on...

Last edited:

Kitch

Reaction score
Here's what I'm going to try. Cut off a portion of the 3" copper soil stack, mate some 3" PVC with a Fernco, and top it off with a new PVC flange. Does a Fernco leak over time? Thanks.

Kitch

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
You're going to want a mechanical coupling like the Proflex made by Fernco. The Proflex will allow you to transition smoothly from copper to pvc and make a nice solid connection. Avoid just using a regular rubber coupling with the hose clamps. These are not made for transitioning between two different types of materials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks