capacitor burn out

Users who are viewing this thread

dragnuts

Reaction score
have just put in new bore pump (grundfos 1.5kw) and new control box. Ran for 20 minutes then noticed fluid dripping out of control box.one of the 2 capacitors was hot so i stopped pump but will not start again so i replaced the capacitor and it done the same thing.What would cause this?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
have just put in new bore pump (grundfos 1.5kw) and new control box. Ran for 20 minutes then noticed fluid dripping out of control box.one of the 2 capacitors was hot so i stopped pump but will not start again so i replaced the capacitor and it done the same thing.What would cause this?

If the pump is brand new and the control box is brand new, then most likely you have something wired incorrectly.

Rather than trying to fix brand-new equipment, I would have contacted the manufacturer(s) immediately if equipment self-destructed when energized.

Can you tell us how it's wired?

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is common with electronics for one thing to be bad and cause another component to fail.

If alternating current gets through to an electrolytic capacitor, the capacitor will fail for example. The circuit should only allow DC to get through to these types of capacitors.

I would send it back. They are going to need factory schematics and an oscilloscope to "see" what is going on with the circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks