(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: capacitor burn out

DIY Junior Member

Default capacitor burn out

have just put in new bore pump (grundfos 1.5kw) and new control box. Ran for 20 minutes then noticed fluid dripping out of control box.one of the 2 capacitors was hot so i stopped pump but will not start again so i replaced the capacitor and it done the same thing.What would cause this?

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragnuts View Post
    have just put in new bore pump (grundfos 1.5kw) and new control box. Ran for 20 minutes then noticed fluid dripping out of control box.one of the 2 capacitors was hot so i stopped pump but will not start again so i replaced the capacitor and it done the same thing.What would cause this?
    If the pump is brand new and the control box is brand new, then most likely you have something wired incorrectly.

Rather than trying to fix brand-new equipment, I would have contacted the manufacturer(s) immediately if equipment self-destructed when energized.

Can you tell us how it's wired?

DIY Junior Member

motor is single phase 3wire 1.5 kw 240v. not sure what you mean by how it is wired? thanks

It is common with electronics for one thing to be bad and cause another component to fail.

If alternating current gets through to an electrolytic capacitor, the capacitor will fail for example. The circuit should only allow DC to get through to these types of capacitors.

I would send it back. They are going to need factory schematics and an oscilloscope to "see" what is going on with the circuit.