(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short cycle

The pressure switch is under the house from the original install, never been touched.

Sounds like the possibilities are the in ground pressure tank bad or a leak somewhere. After reading some other well problem posts might also be the check valve at the pump.

Previous member

Quote Originally Posted by swbrown23 View Post
    The pressure switch is under the house from the original install, never been touched.

Sounds like the possibilities are the in ground pressure tank bad or a leak somewhere. After reading some other well problem posts might also be the check valve at the pump.
    Is your new tank under the house? The switch needs to be as close to the tank as possible.

The new tank is in the house about 5 ft of pipe from the switch.

Hey Allen, I'm squinting real hard and I'm familiar with wells and pressure tanks etc. but I can't see your AWBA thingy, so what are you talking about so Mr Brown can see if he has one? What is a AWBA and what does it look like and where is it so he can understand what you mean?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Hey Allen, I'm squinting real hard and I'm familiar with wells and pressure tanks etc. but I can't see your AWBA thingy, so what are you talking about so Mr Brown can see if he has one? What is a AWBA and what does it look like and where is it so he can understand what you mean?
    The Baker part number is 8AWAA control less. It is a pressure switch for underground tanks. It screws into a special type cap. It sits on the well. There is two pieces of tubing with green liquid in it. One goes down in the pittles, the other to the switch. Then one water supply line goes in the house from the underground tank. They work very well however, they do go bad. I have some pictures. I will post them when I get time.

If his switch is under his house he has a very old set up.

Previous member

Name:  PICT0075.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  21.7 KB This is the part in the well.
    Last edited by Allen Meyers; 10-20-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Previous member

Previous member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Thanks! I got just swamped this afternoon.

Previous member

Name:  PICT0086.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  81.0 KB Another view.

Previous member

Name:  PICT0101.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  20.9 KB

End of job. Just turn the water on. This is at a hunting camp with no buildings.

The AW8A can be seen at the web site below:
    http://www.baker-mfg.com/domestic_ne...the-well39.pdf
    However you describe that the pressure switch is and has always been under the house so I doubt that you have the AW8A.

You will need to completely disconnect the old tank because I believe it is leaking water. I doubt that the pitless adapter is leaking however if you want to look down the well, use a small hand mirror and focus the sunlight down the well. You should be able to see if it is leaking.

If the pressure continues to drop after disconnecting the old tank it could be that the pump check valve is leaking back. However I doubt it.

NOTE: It's always best to have the pressure switch mounted near the pressure tank.

I suggest that you look up http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/pdf/p...k-brochure.pdf it will show you how the pressure switch is near the tank.
    The Cycle Stop Valve gives you constant pressure like city water pressure.

Porky Cutter, MGWC
    National Ground Water Assn., Certified "Master Ground Water Contractor"

Thanks to everyone for all the replies and info, we ended up getting a well guy to come out. He replaced the check valve at the pump and so far it is now holding pressure. His take on it was to try that first because it was less cost than digging up the old pressure tank. If replacing the check valve did not work he was only going to charge for digging up and replacing the tank. Sounded fair to me.

I don't remember, do you have a submersible pump (in the well) or a jet pump (above ground)?

You say he replaced a check valve. Did he or did he add one?

If a jet pump, then he should have pulled the drop pipe and replaced the foot valve because adding a check valve hides the leak and the leak can get worse and cause problems like dirty water etc..
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Junior Member julio.caluori's Avatar

Could a faulty foot valve have the same symptoms ?