Moving/recessing basement cleanout?

Users who are viewing this thread

alterd

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of renovating my basement in my 1920's house, and there is a (cast iron?) sewer cleanout plug coming out of the slab at an angle to an exposed height of 3-4" -- exactly where the ideal new living space will be. I have already stubbed my toe on this thing about a dozen times as is, and am looking for options.

Its not practical for me to raise the floor, as I value the already limited headroom. Can this thing be recessed by jackhammering the slab and replacing it with something shallower?

Thanks in advance,

-don

alterd

Reaction score
There is absolutely no way for us to tell you, until we know how the pipe is installed under the floor.

@hj... I am not sure I know how to find out how the pipe is installed, short of chiseling out the surrounding concrete...

FWIW, I have attached a photo that may/may-not shed some light on the issue

4027241275_7791bc351f.jpg

The tape measure is being held at ~90deg to the floor.

Thanks,

-don

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That be the clean out for the main which runs somewhere under the slab. Digging it up may or may not solve the problem, depending on how deep the main is. I'm going to assume that there is a wye fitting directly below the clean out, so you may be able to remove the clean out and replace it above the floor somewhere.

alterd

Reaction score
There is a vertical line that runs along an exterior wall that presumably ties into this cleanout below the slab-- as they seem to be in line with each other.

Based on your comments above, does it sound reasonable that it may be possible to:
- dig out the existing cleanout and cap it off below the level of the floor.
- Add a new wye to the existing vertical pipe along the wall to serve as the new cleanout?

Thanks for all the help,

-don

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

The average GOOD plumber would only have left that cleanout that way if the Y fitting is right below, or close to the top of the floor. Otherwise he would have installed another fitting to turn it vertical. So, there is a good chance, once you open the floor, that you will either be stuck with what you have, or will have to remove the fitting and replace it with a piece of pipe AFTER you relocate the cleanout to an accessible location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks