Sump Pump Paranoia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sump Pump Paranoia

Reaction score
I just moved into a house that is 10 years old in the Midwest. There is a constant trickle of water that flows in the sump pit at all times. I have never lived in the house where this occurs.

Typically, the sump pump runs about once every 20 minutes for about 20 seconds. When it is really dry (i.e. during the summer) it may not run for up to an hour. HOWEVER, during times of rain, the sump pump could go off every 5 to 8 minutes....we just had a 2" rain and the sump pump has been going off every 6 to 7 minutes for the past 24 hours.

I have spoken with several local inspectors and plumbers and all say that water running into the sump pit is "normal" especially for my area of town as there seems to be a higher water table (at least that is what they say).

All my gutter drains are well away from the house...however there is some negative grading on one side of the house. My house also seems to sit a little lower as compared to the houses on either side of me.

My sump pit has 2 main sump pumps that are on an "alternator" that alternates their use. There is also a battery back-up...for a total of 3 pumps. The pit itself seems fairly large already.

I have looked at other message boards of people trying to figure out a similar issue.....seems like there is not really a solution. I assume that folks across the country live with sump pumps that run in their homes about every 20 minutes...it is just new to me as I have never lived in a house that required the sump pump to run in periods of dry weather or wet weather.....I am guess my situation is a water table issue....

....as long as this situation is "typical" for areas with water table issues, then I am OK with it...I just want to know if it is indeed "typical" or "normal" for a constant trickle of water into the sump...and more if it rains....

I am paranoid of finding a flooded basement some day.

Am I too paranoid, or does everything seem normal?

I guess I am destined to hear the sump pump run every 20 minutes for the rest of my life.....thoughts?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
With everything off, check that your water meter doesn't move.

If one pump is 95% reliable, two will be 99.8% reliable, 3, 99.99%.

Re: water table and flooding, how high would the water go with no pump?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Also check where your pumps discharge. If it's too close to the house they could be cycling.

I discharge mine to the street although technically I am not allowed to do this. Some of my neighbors discharge on their property very near the street.

Bubb1957

Reaction score
Sounds like the previous owner had all the bases covered. With 2 good alternating pumps and a backup your flooding threat is minimized. Just make sure the battery back up is big enough to handle the flow if the main pumps go out in a power outage.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
ust make sure the battery back up is big enough to handle the flow if the main pumps go out in a power outage.
And make sure the battery pump trips at higher water levels than the AC operated pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks