wax ring regular or extended?

Users who are viewing this thread

xnaron

Reaction score
I just removed the toilet in our bathroom so it could be cleaned underneath and then caulked as it was starting to stink. The floor is osb and the flange is attached to it. There is a sub floor of about 1/4" that isn't under the flange ( sub floor cut around flange installed after flange was already in)and linoleum flooring on top of that. From what I remember the flange was either level or just slightly higher than to top of the vinyl flooring. I used a regular was ring with the plastic leak funnel in it. Should I have used the extended height wax ring? If not at what point should one be used with respect to the height of the flange in relation to the floor?

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never use the wax ring with the plastic funnel. They serve no purpose and frequently cause clogging problems. To be 100% correct, a flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor. If new vinyl is applied and makes the flange the thickness of of vinyl below the floor level, a regular ring may still be enough or thicker ring can be used. Much lower than that, you should either replace the flange or add an extension ring or rings to the flange.

xnaron

Reaction score
Never use the wax ring with the plastic funnel. They serve no purpose and frequently cause clogging problems. To be 100% correct, a flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor. If new vinyl is applied and makes the flange the thickness of of vinyl below the floor level, a regular ring may still be enough or thicker ring can be used. Much lower than that, you should either replace the flange or add an extension ring or rings to the flange.

Thanks...the builder installed it that way...the flange top was level with the finished floor. Luckily it never leaked in the 7 years we've been here. I am sure all the other toilets in the house are wrong too but so far no leaks. I just re-did the flange with the thicker one meant for tiled floors. The was definitely compressed this time. I'll have to look into the flange extenders.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The critical things on setting any toilet are that the wax ring must get squished to make a good seal. If you measure the height of the depression around the horn on the toilet from a straigth-edge across the bottom, you'd know how much height in wax you need to get some deformation of the wax to get a good seal. Then, if the toilet rocks, the seal will be compromised since it isn't springy. You must get the toilet shimmed so it sits steady and you only get one chance to do it or you should replace the wax ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks