Running a drain for bathtub question

Users who are viewing this thread

trinculo54

Reaction score
I am installing a new bathroom in my home and I have a bathtub that is facing away from the drain, IE it's a right facing drain with the wall plumbing on the left. I had started with 1 1/2" drain pipe from the stack when I realized I need to run 2" to complete the almost 5' run to the tub drain. My dilemma is with a 2" p-trap how do I connect this to the 1 1/2" "L" shaped tub drain fixture? Do they make a p-trap that connects a 2" to 1 1/2" drain? If there is I can't seem to find it at my local improvement box store. Any help would be great, thanks!

TheZster

Reaction score
Assuming you're running PVC......... you should be able to easily find an adapter that reduces the 2inch trap to a 1 1/2 inch compression fitting. (I'm pushing Home Depot today as I just bought a bunch of shares)

Is your trap at the end of the 5 1/2 foot run - or were you able to move it to the tub drain end of the line? You may have venting problems with this one.... and I'm sure a more experienced plumber type will jump in with a more professional opinion...

Not a pro - just improvise when I need to...............

Last edited:

trinculo54

Reaction score
I thought for sure there would be something like what you described, ie 2" to 1 1/2" fitting but I can't find it...would it be part of the trap assebly? Or would it be just a reducer with a compression fitting...I can't find a 2" to 1 1/2" compression fitting either. Anyone else?

Also the trap is within the 5' venting limit for 2" pipe, it's also ABS...for some reason there is little to no (white) PVC to be found at HD or Lowes in Oregon! Go figure?!?

Sulconst2

Reaction score
you should be able to find a 2 to 1 1/2 reducer then a 1 1/2 trap adapter. might have to go to a supply house.

trinculo54

Reaction score
sulconst2, That's what I'm using as a solution now, but I'm afraid it might be a little bit to tall...I'll have to set the tub to know for sure. I was hoping for a simpler solution then a bunch of adapters stacked on each other...but if that's what I have to do then that's what I'll have to do!

Thanks for the advice.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Run your 2" line AND 2" p-trap. In the cup of the 2" p-trap that is looking up towards the tub,,,glue a 2 " x 1 1/2 " BUSHING .this should allow enough room for the rest of the fittings/drain .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks