Long distance outdoor lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Savageriver

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I am trying to run an outdoor lighting system from my main panel to the front gate of my property. The total one-way run to a 3-way switch at the gate will be 275 feet so I guess that the total circuit length will be 550 feet plus a few feet to the lights. The load will be approximately 660 watts (5.5 amps?) of outdoor spot lights and be connected to a 15-amp breaker at the main panel. Can I run from the main panel to the LB fitting with 12-2 NM-B and then run from the LB fitting with 10 gauge to a junction box approximately half way to the 3-way switch at the gate? I’d like to come from the junction box to the 3-way switch at the gate with 12 gauge as I have the appropriate lengths of the different gauges of wire already.

Thanks in Advance!
SR

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you run wire long distances, you get "voltage drop". There are many free "calculators" for this on the internet. Search google.com for the words...

voltage drop calculator

Some are easier to use than others. (You would select 1 phase or single phase.)

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You can splice inside the lb, but it must have enough room to handle the connductors.
It will be better to install a weather proof box and make the splices there.

Do you not have enough wire to make a complete run without splicing in the middle?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1. Use a jbox instaed of an LB

2. I always suggest against using birect buried cable/wire. Conduit is cheap insurance from damage, Stuff happens.

3. Your voltage drop on 275' of #12 is about 5% or 6 volts. I would use #10 for that distance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wire

IF you are going from the panel, to the first switch, to the second switch, and then to the lights, you will need THREE wires, and the distance will only be 275'. If you go from the panel to the "second" three way, and from there back to the first one, and also to the lights, then you need FOUR wires and the distance will be 550'. PLus, either one will also need a ground wire.

Reaction score
I would hope that much light will only be on infrequently. It would be awfully wasteful/hard on the wallet to have it on dusk to dawn (several thousand kwh/year). If it's going to be on dusk to dawn then you might want to consider more efficient lighting solutions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks