Soldering question...not plumbing related

Users who are viewing this thread

sdirghalli

Reaction score
Hello, I know this is not about plumbing but I have no where else to turn. I am tring to fix an antique pepper mill that is made of several different metals. there is an outer cylinder of brass and then an inner sleve (stainless steel) that is supposed to be fixed to the inside of the cylinder. I want to solder the sleve into the cylinder (it has become detached) but I don't know what kind of flux and solder to use, and don't know if I MUST have a soldering iron or if my blow-torch will do the trick. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

Go to a refrigeration supply store. I am not sure if there is any solder that will adhere to stainless, but they may have a low temperature brazing rod that will. It will need its own special flux, unless the rod has a flux coating. You will need at least a blowtorch, but even that may not get hot enough.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i also do welding

we use tri gas with our mig for stainless. try the brazing rod from weld supply . you,ll need flux also

TheZster

Reaction score
That's what I love about this web site... an amazing amount of advice and knowledge is out there are people willing to share it.

Don't know what your pepper mill is - collectible, useable, valuable?? But my two cents worth as a DIYer - considering the complications obviously involved in soldering/brazing these dissimilar metals? Epoxy..........

johncm

Reaction score
soldering brass to stainless

I found an answer on the following site:
http://www.tinmantech.com/html/faq__brazing-_joining_brass_to.html

"My husband is making some barbecue tools where he is joining brass handles to stainless steel. What is your recommended method of joining?

The Tin Man Respondeth

I think you will get both high strength and good appearance with a high (25% or greater) hard (high temp, 1100F) silver solder. Use a good flux, and make sure the metals remain bright and silvery during the heating process, as overheating will kill the brightness and hence ruin the silver.

Use a large tip, and a soft (quiet) feathery (carbeurizing) flame."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks