Alteration to Washer Stand Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffro626

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to the forum and to blogging altogether. i have a very basic question, and if it is already been answered in the forum i apologize in advance. i was wondering if it is a bad idea to alter an existing stand pipe for a washing machine in order to bring the mouth closer to the edge of a counter. i am in an apartment, and my hose does not reach the wall. i roll my washer out when i use it and into a closet when i am done.

the pipe is in a recessed wall box and i would like to use pvc elbows/couplers attached to the mouth of the existing pipe to bring the drain out along the wall and out to where i can access it easily. i know the drain has to be 2" to be sure there is no overflow, but will curves cause a problem with drainage?

thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to add a section of hose to the washer...they usually can pump further and it would be a lot neater.

jeffro626

Reaction score
i tend to agree, but i need to be able to disconnect the washer and roll away. the drain opening is not easily accessable (behind a dishwasher)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

How about a picture of this installation. Having a washing machine drain BEHIND a dishwasher is not something we see every day, or even every decade. What do you do for the water connections?