(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Alteration to Washer Stand Pipe

DIY Junior Member

Default Alteration to Washer Stand Pipe

Hello, i am new to the forum and to blogging altogether. i have a very basic question, and if it is already been answered in the forum i apologize in advance. i was wondering if it is a bad idea to alter an existing stand pipe for a washing machine in order to bring the mouth closer to the edge of a counter. i am in an apartment, and my hose does not reach the wall. i roll my washer out when i use it and into a closet when i am done.

the pipe is in a recessed wall box and i would like to use pvc elbows/couplers attached to the mouth of the existing pipe to bring the drain out along the wall and out to where i can access it easily. i know the drain has to be 2" to be sure there is no overflow, but will curves cause a problem with drainage?

thanks!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I think it would be easier to add a section of hose to the washer...they usually can pump further and it would be a lot neater.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

i tend to agree, but i need to be able to disconnect the washer and roll away. the drain opening is not easily accessable (behind a dishwasher)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro626 View Post
    , but will curves cause a problem with drainage?

thanks!
    Probably.......

Default drain

How about a picture of this installation. Having a washing machine drain BEHIND a dishwasher is not something we see every day, or even every decade. What do you do for the water connections?