(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: ABS fitting inside concrete footing?

Default ABS fitting inside concrete footing?

-Slab-on-grade floor
    -toilet backs up to an exterior wall

My vent stack/end-of-line clean-out will come up through the footing/slab. In a typical above-grade install, the closet bend would point back to the wall and T into the stack, like this-

But how do I accomdate the requirement for a 2"-oversize sleeve in the footing penetration, if I've got a fitting buried in the footing? Is this a case where a horizontal vent is permitted due to structural/grade restrictions? like this-

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Are you sure you're even allowed to place the plumbing inside the footing like that? Where I am from this certainly wouldn't be allowed.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Abs fitting inside concrete

You first picture is correct !

You just put a 3" x 2" reducer bushing into the top of your clean out tee and

extend the 2" vent up from there, also you get foam wrap and make 3 or 4

turns around the abs pipe and fittings where ever they are buried or cross

though the concrete footing and slab !

This gives room for the abs and concrete to slide without breaking the abs

like in thermal expansion of the abs when you run hot water though it !

This go's for all abs concrete penetrations

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MACPLUMB 777 View Post
    You first picture is correct !
    . . . get foam wrap and make 3 or 4 turns around the abs pipe and fittings where ever they are buried or cross though the concrete footing and slab . . .
    That's what I'm familiar with. But new code (not sure if it's UPC or California bldg code - which is a mix of UPC and our own mod's due to the seisimic zones here), is calling for all footing penetrations to be sleeved in pipe 2" larger than the diameter of the line you're running.

Guess I'll be visiting the bld'g dept tomorrow to find out how they want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    Are you sure you're even allowed to place the plumbing inside the footing like that? Where I am from this certainly wouldn't be allowed.
    Then how do you get your plumbing into exterior walls? Keep in mind that here in California, 99.999% of our construction is slab-on-grade, so there's no joist space to run the ground-floor plumbing through like you'd have with stem-wall or pier construction.

Default vent

Put your Y BETWEEN the elbow and the toilet and run the vent back to and up inside the wall.

Latest California Building Code requires all footing penetrations to be sleeved in 2-sizes larrger pipe. But apparently many (most?) local AHJ's aren't enforcing it, because it's not practical in situations like mine, where there's a tub, shower or W.C. along an exterior wall.

So it's standard layout and wrap in foam. I did drop the combi to the bottom of the stack -- I'm thinking the 18" free-fall from the toilet horn should make for a very effective flush

Thanks, all, for your help.