No flame to heat water

Users who are viewing this thread

Phabej

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a water heater made by A.O. Smith model FPS that will not produce flame to heat the hot water. The pilot stays light, and the blower motor is running, but the flame will not kick in to heat the water. I had already tried vacuum all the rust and dust out of the bottom of the screen thinking it might be an issue with the air flow. But, that didn't make any difference. I took out the Thermocouple and clean it with sand paper but didn't help either. It seems like there was no gas coming out of the burner tube. Any idea what could be the problem here? Please advise. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a vacuum/pressure switch that must close once the fan comes on. If it's bad or there's a hole or crack in the intake air or exhaust vent line, then that safety switch will prevent the gas from turning on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look up the owner's manual for your heater on line, or if you're lucky, you still have it. It should give you some trouble-shooting and theory of operation. The switch will likely have some 1/4" spade push-on connectors...you should be able to use a multimeter to check it fairly easily. It probably has a vacuum hose going into it. You could just suck on that to see if the burner comes on. If it does, the switch is okay, but then you'd know you have a flue or intake problem. The hose could be split, too, just like a vacuum hose on your car.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There is a tube that runs from the fan to the vacuum switch and if you apply a vacuum to it (suck on it) and the burner flames on then the switch is most likely good...if the switch is good then it may be the fan is not producing enough vacuum to activate the switch...about how old is this heater...

Phabej

Reaction score
I tested the voltage going into the solenoid valve and there was nothing. It reads zero. I then tested the voltage going into the Gas Pressure switch and it reads 29.4 volts. Does that mean the Fan Relay is bad? The heater is about 15 years old. I found online service manual for the FPS 40/50 226-227 series but not for this model. The model I have is a FPS 40 224 and I can't seem to find anything on it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
electric

YOu may be reading the voltages wrong. A switch ONLY indicates voltage when it is open, any other time the only way to check voltage is to measure between the terminal and a known ground/neutral/negative pole. If there is a voltage reading across the pressure switch, then it it open, and possibly not functioning. If you tested each terminal you will probably find the input side has voltage, but the outlet to the gas valve does not have any.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks