I just do not understand police in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

Does that mean (and I am being serious) that you need to carry an ID, like a driving license, at all times, even if not driving?

Or will a spoken name and address suffice, should an officer ask?

You are not required to carry ID. But you are required to identify yourself to the police if they demand it. Mind you, cops can't and don't go around pulling people off the road or off the street to check their ID. But if they pull you over for a reason...speeding, headlight out, etc, they have the right to identify you. If you are not carrying ID, and you give them your correct name and date of birth, then the BFC ( big freaking computer) at police headquarters, can confirm and all is well. If you fail to identify yourself, they can hook you up. This is one way that people who are on the lamb get caught. I am OK with the system. Secret to no hassles....carry your drivers license, and if you get pulled over, just get over it! I never get pulled over. People who do usually deserve it. There are exceptions....( for example, DWB....driving while black, in an exclusive high end community). We are working on that.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
. . . Mind you, cops can't and don't go around pulling people off the road or off the street to check their ID. . .

"Can't" doesn't necessarily equal "Don't". I used to live and work in Irvine (an upper-middle class community with a highly paid, highly trained police foce, and virtually no crime to occupy them), and worked graveyard shift. My "well-loved" (read "beat to sh*t") 4x4 didn't fit the neighborhood profile, and I could count on getting pulled over at least once a month on my 5 minute drive to work at 1am . One time I asked the officer why she had stopped me, and she responded by issuing a ticket for - get this - a "too bright tail light" (when I took it in to get the fix-it ticket signed off (having made no change to the offending tail light), the officer laughed his a$$ off and wanted to know what I'd done to piss off the citing officer).

So, Yes, cops do sometimes pull people over just to check their ID.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
In this regards, education does count, they need to be much more well-rounded in dealings with people. They need to know so much more than they do. They are very ignorant of so much. They need to sharpen their people skills, their decision making processes, if they don't have what it takes, what is needed, the people who come under their authority suffer. And, if one person suffers needlessly at the hands of one cop, it is one too many. It could be you or your loved one. It doesn't have to be and shouldn't have to be.

Higher education is the key to being a good cop. They need to be better educated all the way around since, their job is so authorative and their postion and status can make or break another's life. THEY HAVE ALOT OF POWER AND THEY NEED ALOT OF EDUCATION TO USE IT WISELY.

Just the way it is and should be. The bar has to be raised on this, and I hope in time it will be.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
The flipside to that is, how much education can you demand for a job that pays what theirs does? I know this varies by region & by which police force... but I make more money doing construction, than I would as an NYPD cop.

Considering the relative stress levels of our jobs? That just ain't right.

Anytime I interact with a cop, I aim to be helpful, make their day go smoothly, as much as I can. Reckon they've got enough crap on their plate, without me adding to it.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, then, you might have to pay higher taxes, to pay the cops more, with more education, so, the cops can do their jobs as well as they should be.

Their position is one that effects many people lives, not just yours, and because of that, they should be very educated to do the job well.

They have a job which gives them power, and with that has to come alot of knowledge or everyone loses out.

Cookie

Reaction score
In our township, they only need a high school diploma and when they are hired to weigh the appropriate weight. Afterwards, is a different story. Most townships do not require much. Anyone who wants a job, graduated high school, can run a mile, got a clean slate, can become a police officer.

Keep raising the bar,

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-qualifications-to-be-a-police-officer.htm

Don't you want the best for your community that protect and serve you?

(you don't want a fly by night fixing your plumbing or your car.)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"
So, Yes, cops do sometimes pull people over just to check their ID.
I did mention the exception of DWB, and various corollaries such as DPS ( driving piece of @^*&$$# in wrong neighborhood) and DWN ( driving in the wrong neighborhood...you just don't look right).

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I did mention the exception of DWB, and various corollaries such as DPS ( driving piece of @^*&$$# in wrong neighborhood) and DWN ( driving in the wrong neighborhood...you just don't look right).

You forgot DIAFCWTY. (Driving in a fast car while too young). :D

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
I don't think higher education gives anyone more respect, self control or compassion. There are definitely bad cops out there, as there are bad people in all trades and professions. I've met cops on both sides of the fence but don't let the bad ones color my views of the good ones.

Ditto what FloridaOrange said!!!

There are people in every profession that are qualified, have integrity of character and do their job in a professional manner, and then there are those that don't; regardless of their education level!!!

Cookie: with all due respect, you are stereotyping cops based on your personal local experience, and any stereotyping (in my book) is not a good thing.

BTW: I have lived in several different cities in the U.S. The city cops here are the most worthless ones I have seen (in general, of course) and this is the only city I have lived in where the city police are required to have a college degree.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know of any position where authority and power is at the helm and it doesn't demand higher education.
(I have never mentioned personal experience, I am only using common sense)

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The thing that irks me is public servants that take an oath to up hold the Constitution and have no idea what that means let alone know what it says...and there is no training for them to know...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Power corrupts and it seems to go to cops heads rather quickly

Cookie

Reaction score
Their position especially can make a dangerous equation since they carry a loaded weapon.
No other postion I can think of which has as much power and authority with so little education.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Their position especially can make a dangerous equation since they carry a loaded weapon.
No other postion I can think of which has as much power and authority with so little education.

When i was in the Military i was shocked at how little education some people had and these people carried bigger guns than Police.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
When i was in the Military i was shocked at how little education some people had and these people carried bigger guns than Police.
The ideal employee is one with little education. Otherwise they would question their orders, blow the whistle on misconduct, hire attorneys, spread discontent among other employees, etc., etc.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wow. What a lively debate. I have learnt a lot.

Having read through your posts, some things surprise me about cops in the US and some don't.

Pulling people over for the slightest of reasons to check them out has always been a trick of all police. So I get that one. I was pulled over all the time as a kid. And once I was wearing a kilt!

But what shocks me a little more is that police here do seem to get away with being more violent. Elsewhere, if a shot gets fired or a fist thrown, then there is an enquiry. Here, the cop's word seems to be taken as golden. Many of my neighbors have warned me not to get cheeky with the police otherwise they will beat me. That just does not seem right.

And keeping your hands on the wheel if you get pulled over or you might get shot, is equally ridiculous.

I'm just gonna get out of the car if I am ever pulled over.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Seriously, Ian don't just get out of the car, and reach to go into your glove box, or anywhere. These moves are considered threatening.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Seriously, Ian don't just get out of the car, and reach to go into your glove box, or anywhere. These moves are considered threatening.

LISTEN TO COOKIE, Ian.

Look at it from the cop's point of view - this isn't England, where the odds are very slim that the driver's carrying a gun. In this country, it's a very real possibility.

Seriously, no joke - if you look at the stats, there's basically nothing more threatening to a cop, than a "routine" traffic stop:

Attachments

• stats.JPG
    stats.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 469
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks