(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just do not understand police in America

I don't know of any position where authority and power is at the helm and it doesn't demand higher education.
    (I have never mentioned personal experience, I am only using common sense)
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-27-2009 at 01:31 AM.

The thing that irks me is public servants that take an oath to up hold the Constitution and have no idea what that means let alone know what it says...and there is no training for them to know...

Power corrupts and it seems to go to cops heads rather quickly

Their position especially can make a dangerous equation since they carry a loaded weapon.
    No other postion I can think of which has as much power and authority with so little education.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Their position especially can make a dangerous equation since they carry a loaded weapon.
    No other postion I can think of which has as much power and authority with so little education.
    When i was in the Military i was shocked at how little education some people had and these people carried bigger guns than Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut9199 View Post
    When i was in the Military i was shocked at how little education some people had and these people carried bigger guns than Police.
    The ideal employee is one with little education. Otherwise they would question their orders, blow the whistle on misconduct, hire attorneys, spread discontent among other employees, etc., etc.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Wow. What a lively debate. I have learnt a lot.

Having read through your posts, some things surprise me about cops in the US and some don't.

Pulling people over for the slightest of reasons to check them out has always been a trick of all police. So I get that one. I was pulled over all the time as a kid. And once I was wearing a kilt!

But what shocks me a little more is that police here do seem to get away with being more violent. Elsewhere, if a shot gets fired or a fist thrown, then there is an enquiry. Here, the cop's word seems to be taken as golden. Many of my neighbors have warned me not to get cheeky with the police otherwise they will beat me. That just does not seem right.

And keeping your hands on the wheel if you get pulled over or you might get shot, is equally ridiculous.

I'm just gonna get out of the car if I am ever pulled over.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 10-27-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Seriously, Ian don't just get out of the car, and reach to go into your glove box, or anywhere. These moves are considered threatening.

What is under those kilts?

Seriously, Ian don't just get out of the car, and reach to go into your glove box, or anywhere. These moves are considered threatening.
    LISTEN TO COOKIE, Ian.

Look at it from the cop's point of view - this isn't England, where the odds are very slim that the driver's carrying a gun. In this country, it's a very real possibility.

Seriously, no joke - if you look at the stats, there's basically nothing more threatening to a cop, than a "routine" traffic stop:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    And keeping your hands on the wheel if you get pulled over or you might get shot, is equally ridiculous.

I'm just gonna get out of the car if I am ever pulled over.
    I've seriously never had an issue, and I've been pulled over alot. I seriously mean alot. Been searched better than 30 times too in my past , though never arrested for anything.

The only time a cop got squirrely on me was due to my cell phone. It was an early flip and rotate model that had a camera on a swivel. The cop could only see the end of the camera and it was silver, for a second he thought it was the barrel release on a pistol.

By the way, I'm at work tonight. My office is right on the edge of a not so nice part of town. Came to work packing, just not an option in the UK and I'm glad I have the right.

Cheap and effective:
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

OK, can I just give him the bird from the driver's seat then?

Slowly.

Is that a water pistol Mr Orange?

In England we prefer to use knives. It's more personal.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Water pistols do nothing to the bad guys Ian, except get them wet. With anyone that I would have to use deadly force against I'd prefer to keep them at least a few feet away.

You could just give a cop the finger, that is your right but you might not like the consequences.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    In England we prefer to use knives. It's more personal.
    "Just like an Englishman to bring a knife to a gun fight"

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Sheriffs Deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the Deputy because he is sure that he has a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the deputies expense.

Deputy says, “License and registration, please.”

Lawyer says, “What for?”

Deputy says, “You didn’t come to a complete stop at the stop sign”

Lawyer says, “I slowed down, and no one was coming.”

Deputy says, “You still didn’t come to a complete stop. License and registration, please.”

Lawyer says, “What’s the difference?”

Deputy says, “The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that’s the law. License and registration, please!”

Lawyer says, “If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I’ll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket, if not you let me go and no ticket.”

Deputy says, “Exit your vehicle, sir.”

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the ever-loving snot out of the lawyer and says “Do you want me to stop or just slow down?”

I'm still wondering about those kilts.
    I like a story i heard on TV from Mel Gibson while filming Braveheart.

He was sitting around a campfire with some of the Scottish extras and he turned to one of the guys and said "What do you wear under your kilt" and the guy said "Your wife's lipstick" haha

"WHAT DO YOU WEAR UNDER YOUR KILT?"

How badly do you want to know?
    How warm are your hands?
    Me mother once told me a real lady wouldn't ask. She was right, God bless 'er.
    My Scottish pride.
    On a good day, lipstick.
    Play your cards right and you can find out.
    Tell me madam , would you go jogging without a bra? If so, where do you jog and when?
    Sorry, I'm a bit shy and not much good with words. Give me your hand...
    Talcum powder

"WHAT'S UNDER YOUR KILT?"

A wee set of pipes.
    Bagpipes, wanna give 'em a blow?
    It's the smallest airport in the world.....2 hangars and a night fighter.
    My shoes and socks.
    String -- I had to tie it up so it didn’t hang below the kilt.
    What God graced me with.