new kitchen circuits

Users who are viewing this thread

WallyGater

Reaction score
How many new circuits will I need for my kitchen remodel?
microwave= dedicated 20 amp
refrigerator= dedicated 20 amp
gas stove, outlets, switches, lighting, fan, toaster oven = dedicated 20 amp
That's three
Do I need another one for the dishwasher?

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
The NEC requires a minimum of 2 20-amp circuits to serve the receptacles. There can be no lighting on these circuits. Microwave hoods will require a dedicatd circuit. Some refrigerators will require a circuit, otherwise can share the 20 amp small appliance circuit. Gas ignitors can also share the small appliance circuit.

Dishwashers and disposals can sometimes share a circuit.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
As stated above with my own twist:

2 - 20 Amp circuits for the kitchen counters (mandatory) & gas stove receptacle
1 - 15 Amp circuit for the fridge (most only use 7-10amps)
1 - 20 Amp circuit for the built in microwave/exhaust hood combo
1 - 15 Amp circuit for kitchen lighting and miscellaneous wall receptacles.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Refrig, micro, DW. Each works on a 15 amp. A dedicated for each is very convenient, because you can turn off just that one for service if necessary; and of of course each uses the better part of 15, so you would not want to combine.. DW used to be typically hard wired. I don't know it code requires plug in now, but I can tell you that the new tall tub DW are much more difficult to work with, and having a cord to an outlet in the adjacent undersink cabinet makes that part of the job easier.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
outlets

HAving a cord to the sink cabinet also provides for a "visible" disconnect means when working on the dishwasher. What are "miscellaneous outlets" on a lighting circuit?

WallyGater

Reaction score
I would like to keep the lighting and the "miscellaneous outlets" on a seperate circut.

"2 - 20 Amp circuits for the kitchen counters (mandatory) & gas stove receptacle"

I will only have one counter outlet so I guess that means just one manditory 20 amp breaker, not two
Does that sound correct?

lights 20 amp
fridge 20 amp
counter outlet 20 amp
microwave 20 amp
dishwasher 20 amp
miscellaneous outlets 20 amp

Thats 6 new breakers in the box. Does that sound like to much?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thats 6 new breakers in the box. Does that sound like to much?

Kind of....maybe. In some cases there is no such thing as too many. If the space is available and the access is easy, the more circuits, the less the load is on each circuit. In my house I installed 4 circuits just for the counter top receps. That way there is no worries if a coffee pot gets plugged in next to a toaster.

Your kitchen must have two 20 amp circuits for "small appliances".
Your built in micro must have one 20 amp circuit
Your dishwasher/disposal must have one 20 amp circuit.

The refer can be on one of the counter top recep circuits. Run the home run to the refer first, then to the counter top recep. Refer doesn't have to be GFCI protected (and shouldn't in my opinion).

We generally put the lighting on an existing 15 amp circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks