Wondering about insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
About 15 years ago I did a job and was in an attic and the insulation was something I have never seen before or since...it was granular like extremely course sand but was neither heavy or lite...it was throughout the whole attic and I was very leary of it since I had never seen it before...it was white in color and was NOT pearlite or anything like that...

Any Ideas...

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I was gonna say "perlite", because that's what it sounds like.

But since you say it isn't perlite... vermiculite?

Those are the only 2 things that I know of, that fit your description.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Really? I've never seen it, as insulation, before. Only ever seen it in the context of gardening... But, the one & only time I've seen perlite insulation (looked like what Cass is describing)... one of the other guys on the job thought it was vermiculite. So I walked away, thinking they must look similar... Maybe he was just mixed up.

... a quick google image search confirms, he was mixed up; they don't look alike at all.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
nope...it was the weirdest stuff I have ever seen...it acted like sand when you let it fall through your fingers...

Definitely not vermiculite..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks