oatey pipe joint compound in the well?

Users who are viewing this thread

wellington

Reaction score
i've been trying to get my well back in action for a few days now, got rid of the old pump and replaced the intake pipe in the well... at the end of that pipe is a new foot valve thread sealed with oatey pipe compound, (on glowing recomendation from the hardware store guy)... concern comes to me that night; this wierd goo is now sitting in all the water that my wife and my little ones are going to be drinking... msds sheet says some thing about diarrhea and dermatitis, and the central nervous system... then claims it is non-toxic, i am about ready to pull this foot valve up and start again... any opinions on goo soup?
thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use stuff like that on water lines all the time.
You smear it on the male threads, and tighten up the fitting.
Very little if any ever gets inside the pipe.

If you smeared it on the outside of the pipe beyond the fitting, I guess it will just stick to the pipe until it coats over.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
One reason for having it get into your water lines is improper application of the product...It should only be put on the male threads...if it is used on both male and female you can end up with a large wad of it going through the water lines and clogging up an areator or possibly a cartridge...

Apply only to male threads...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can download the MSDS sheet from Oatley's web site.

I believe if I recall, that it is listed as non toxic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks