Sizing a generator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to rent a generator to power an airless paint sprayer. How do I determine what size generator I need to rent?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the compressor on the sprayer doesn't list watts, P=VA, or 120*the listed amps. You'll want some margin so turn-on surge doesn't trip the breaker.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, generators are rated by the watts they can handle.

So a 5000 model generator would be 5000 watts capacity.

A microwave oven would be about 1000 watts for example. Or a 100 watt light bulb 100 watts.

But most important is wheels! Especially if you need to cart it around. Some of those construction rental generators can be quite heavy and don't have wheels.

Then if you are using something higher wattage like 1000 watts and using a long extension cord, be sure to get a good "construction type" 12 gauge wire extension cord. I imagine they would rent these.

If you have a high wattage thing like an air compressor on a long extension cord, and the extension cord has a small gauge wire, then the air compressor might just "hum" and not even start-up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks