Hole in ABS pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

sk8ter

Reaction score
Hi,
As I was trying to install the new shower base in the basement i drilled around the rough-in 1-1/2" pipe then cut the concrete by using a chisel.
When the area was exposed, I found that I drilled into the horizontal pipe as shown in the picture.
IS there a way to plug/repair/patch the hole (approx. 1/4") other than cut more concrete and cut and replace the whole things there?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
First a shower drain should be 2". It looks like the hole is in the top side of the trap. Cut out the rest of the concrete and replace the trap. You should really change the line to 2".

John

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not averse to doing a billy mays job when appropriate. This time, it is definitely not appropriate. Tub/shower drains are prone to hair issues. The slightest discontinuity on the inside of the pipe will tend to grab and agglomerate hair. Being under the slab, and under your soon to be brand new shower, do you want to do anything which has fair risk of not surviving LONG TERM?? Get out the jack hammer!

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

If the hole were in a straight section of piping there are several ways to fix it. Your hole is on a curved section next to a bell hub, so there is NO WAY to do a proper repair on it. If the pipe is 1 1/2", then you already have a improper drain for a shower, besides having a hole in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks