Toto one piece versus two piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Piperca

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Toto Ultramax w/CEFIONTECT and the Toto Drake w/CEFIONTECT. The Drake is $200+ cheaper, but I've read nothing but good things about it. Other than looks, is there a reason I should choose the Ultramax?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The one-piece toilets come with a soft close seat.

They are easier to clean, no gap between tank and bowl.
Easier to install, pull it from the box and stick it on the wax.
Less parts, therefore less can go wrong
They look cool.

But either one would be a good choice.

The Ultramax is made in the USA

ms854_sg_wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:

Piperca

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Terry.

Another question: I roughed the toilet in at a tight 12" from the finished wall; is there much room behind either of those toilets that would allow me to get some 5/16" tile back there?

Reaction score
My advice is to see the Ultramax in person first. The Drake is svelte by comparison with more traditional lines. The Ultramax with Toto seat is larger with somewhat odd angles. It's not ugly (and I wouldn't balk at owning one), but it is not for everyone. It would probably look best with more modern bath designs. The EcoDrake I have is trim, simple, and attractive.

I'm not opposed to one piece designs, and would actually prefer them if they didn't have the odd curves/extra projection of the Ultramax (why the sloped tank cover?) and were priced the same. The appearance is a personal preference/style thing.

eco_ultramax_tub.jpg

Ultramax
toto_drake_buyonsale.jpg

Drake

Last edited by a moderator:

Piperca

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys!

I think we've settled on the Ultramax for the cleanliness issue, although the wife really likes the Drake. I found the Ultramax for a smidge under $*** (MS854114SG-01), so there's really not that much between the two, price wise.

It's still not bolted down yet, so things could change ... LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into the Ultramax II? It has Toto's unique "double cyclone" jets under the rim for better bowl wash. Comes in 1-piece design, too. I have 2 of them and really like them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

In the "old days" the one piece toilets were designed so they COULD NOT overflow, which made them preferable in many locations. Now that feature has been eliminated in order to comply with the water restrictions so the choice of one piece or two piece has become one of appearance only.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A two-piece tends to have the tank sitting higher than on a one-piece, thus the water falls further letting similar designs for the bowl flush slightly better on the two-piece. Usually not enough difference to make an issue.

Piperca

Reaction score
A two-piece tends to have the tank sitting higher than on a one-piece, thus the water falls further letting similar designs for the bowl flush slightly better on the two-piece. Usually not enough difference to make an issue.

Jim, I learned that today at the plumbing supply that I am using for my fixtures. My wife still likes the two piece, so we might end up with it.

I mentioned, maybe switching from the Ultramax to the Drake, when I was at the pluming supply today. Believe it or not, the salesperson told me they thought it was a wise choice, since they prefer the Drake and have heard nothing but excellent feedback on the unit. I would have thought they'd want the extra dollars for the Ultramax ... gives me more faith in the company I am dealing with.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have fewer problems with the one-piece toilets.

However, not everyone is comfortable spending more money.
I sell more of the two-piece, mainly as a price point decision.
Functionally, they both work fine.

For my customers that ask for the best, they get the one-piece units.

But then most of my customers drive pretty nice cars too.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks