Low head pump

Users who are viewing this thread

tkeoki

Reaction score
What's the most efficient pump with the following requirements?

Pumping from a 30" cement cased well--25' total depth
Dynamic level of ~18 ft.
10gpm @ a total of 40' head.
About 40-50% run time.

This is for an existing GSHP system that's currently running off a deep well with a 1.5hp pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
At the most you need 10 GPM and 65' of head. The smallest submersible you can get is a 1/3 HP. A 10S03-6 Grundfos will do 10 GPM from 105' of head. This is a little more than you need but still 5 times smaller and more efficient than the 1.5 HP you have. It is hard to find a 1/3 HP anymore. Let me know if you can't find one.

tkeoki

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The 40' head includes the dynamic pumping level. Here's my calculations on costs with a 50% run time (I think my average actual run time is lower; I haven't been able to get a good estimate.) Please correct any of the wattage values as I'm not positive on these numbers--other than the current pump.

Pump Watts Cost at $0.10/Kwh
Existing 1 1/2hp 2200 $960/yr
1/2 hp @ SF load 960 $420/yr
1/2 hp @ Full Load 670 $294/yr
1/3 hp ? ?

I can't find any info on the 1/3 hp motors/pumps.

Also, is there any way to get a fairly accurate watt usage when you derate(?--not sure of the term) a pump by limiting the gpm pumped? I know you do this fairly regularly with cycle stop valves. Is there any kind of a calculation to determine pumping costs in these situations?

Thanks

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Also, is there any way to get a fairly accurate watt usage when you derate(?--not sure of the term) a pump by limiting the gpm pumped?
Is there any kind of a calculation to determine pumping costs in these situations?

HP = GPMxHeaD/(40xEFF)
E.g., 100x120'/[40x50%] = 6.1 hp
and so
EFF = GPMxHD/{HP (40)}
Some pumps give efficiency numbers on the GPM/HD curves.

If 1 1/2hp costs $960/yr
and
1/2 hp costs $294/yr then
1/3 hp should cost approx.
{0.33 x 666} - 39 = ~$180

Or, 1.5/$960 = 0.33/$X
then $X = (0.33) $960/1.5 = ~$210

but the best way is to graph your numbers using Excel and see how the curve looks when you extend to 0.33 hp.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks