Flushometer Wall Hung Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

jdr86

Reaction score
I was wondering about the pro's and con's of wall hung toilets for residential use. I am considering one in my bathroom. I want to use the style that does not need a tank. Any advice on the best brand/style to buy?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The typical residence doesn't have a large enough water supply to make one of those work without a tank (which could be in the wall). Most require 1" or larger water pipe all the way back to the supply at the street (or your pump, whatever). The other big hassle is the wall usually needs to be at least 6" thick to accommodate the carrier and the pipes. If you can provide those, then you can make it work. The advantages are primarily that it's easier to keep the floor clean, and the look (assuming you prefer it).

jdr86

Reaction score
thanks for your reply Jim.
I think I have sufficient wall thickness. Do you think a new 3/4 line all the way from the meter would be sufficient? I don't know what the pressure is but I would assume it is typical for residential.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
If you are talking about a commercial style toilet with a 1" flush valve you generally need about 8-9" clear space, in between the studs. Usually that "wall" will end up being 13-14" thick. Additionally with a 3/4" line feeding the 1" valve, when you flush it it will kill the pressure to any other fixture running (cold) water. Hope no one is in the shower and hopefully the toilet will flush well but maybe it won't.

Peanut9199 (member here) I believe sells the Gerberit system, I think it's a Duravit, wall hung with a tank that gets mounted inside of the wall. While I understand it may be a difficult install, those who have them seem to like them. https://terrylove.com/forums/member.php?u=12331 Try to PM him.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to replace the meter with a larger size.
And upgrade the water service to 1.5"

The flushometer valve will need to be 1"

I've talked to plenty of homeowners that talk their plumbers into trying this without the plumbing supply upgrades.
None of them would ever do it again, and most have them have take the flushometer style toilets out.

When you flush one of these, all the other fixtures in the home lose pressure.
You need to provide an instant 1.6 gallon surge.

This is why you have tanks in homes, it may take 35 to 120 seconds to refill a toilet. And even a slow refill like that, it will scald anyone taking a shower.
Now try a 3 second flush with your ex-wife in the shower.
That's what she will be, your new ex-wife, the first time you flush that baby while she's in the shower.

But if your still want to try, upgrade the meter to at least a 1", replace the water service to 1.5" and keep it that size until you branch to 1" for the flushometer.
Shouldn't cost you more then $5,000

jdr86

Reaction score
thanks again everyone for the help. While the potential for scalding anyone in the shower is tempting, you have convinced me to look into the other options. I couldn't get a straight answer around here so your help is appreciated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks